Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Had lower ball joints replaced and now have rattling noise when accelerating!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had lower ball joints replaced and now have rattling noise when accelerating!

Ok we got 4 new tires and the shop that put them on said we needed new lower ball joints. We took it back and had them replaced. Well on the way home the truck started to grind real bad especiallly when I braked. I called the shop and they said that it was probably the dust shield on the rotors that shifted and was rubbing the rotors. i took it back and the grinding stopped but now it rattles from the passenger front end when I accelerate. I have to be going between 35 mph and 60. The shop looked at it again and tried to convince me that the sound was probably already there. I am 100% positive it was not! They said they THINK it is the vacuum lines and that they didn't even touch that area when replacing the ball joints. Which is crazy b/c the hubs have vacuum lines coming from them!

Also they said that the noise stops if you put it in 4x4 which we never use. No lights are coming on but do you guys think the 4x4 is trying to engage? What are your ideas?

If the solenoid caused the vacuum lines to get water in them would it be a grinding noise or a rattling noise? All we hear now is the rattling noise so when they fixed the rotor shield it did get rid of the grinding noise.

Last edited by lowcountry; 05-12-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46 AM

Any Ideas?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:31 PM

I forgot to mention my trucks a 2004 f150 auto 4x4. I live in southern SC. Any one know any good honest shops?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned Forever!

Does it sound like a ratcheting sound? Try engaging and disengaging your four wheel drive, also check to make sure you vacuum line are installed properly.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:01 PM

yes its a ratcheting sound. I see the vacuum lines from the hub but are there others? How would i test the actuator?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned Forever!

That I wouldn't know. But did you engaged and disengage 4h and 4l. Did the ratcheting sound still there after disengage?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Nope the noise goes away
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM

They accidentally put a hole in one of your IWE actuators. It's engages and disengages the 4wd based on vacuum. If you unplug the solenoid up on the firewall and plug the two hoses that run down to the actuators (that plug into the solenoid) with screws (or something) the noise SHOULD stop. However, your front shafts will turn all the time. You can drive the truck like this until you get it fixed with no ill effects.

As far as action against the shop... if you explain it to them, tell them to pull everything back apart and they'll notice that one of those actuators is broken. They may or may not fix it for you, but I'd guess they'll claim the damage was there before. They can do a vacuum check to figure out which side the problem is on.

It's not a particularly difficult job to do yourself, you just gotta remove the brakes, and slide the cv shaft outta the hub so you can replace the actuator. If you let it go, you'll be buying a new hub. ($$)

Basically, it's a several hundred dollar problem now (if you pay someone to do it) but it could become a very very expensive problem later (if you wait, or don't plug those vacuum hoses in the meantime)

Obviously, no 4wd once you unplug the solenoid.

check this thread out, it'll walk you through replacing this bad boy. I'm almost positive this is the problem, because I've seen this EXACT scenario before, and I repaired the truck.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...replacing.html

Last edited by BoxxerTech; 05-18-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Had lower ball joints replaced and now have rattling noise when accelerating!