Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Grumbling, groaning noise in front end when going slow and turning right

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumbling, groaning noise in front end when going slow and turning right

So, I'm going to tackle the latest noise in my 2005 King Ranch. When I turn right at low speed I get this low, rumbling, grunting, groaning sound in the front end - kinda sounds like it's on the left side of the front axle, but it's a low pitched noise, so it's hard to tell where it's coming from.

I know what it is not - It's not the IWE actuator or solenoid. I've had that problem and already fixed it. That one is a clear buzzing, higher pitched sound. The truck is lifted 2" on big mud tires (295 70 R18 Nitto Grapplers), but they do not rub ( absolutely sure) so that's not it either.

My theories are numerous: the front or rear diff need gear oil change, the drive shaft splines need lube, upper control arm/upper/lower ball joints (lube/replace), CV axle/joint needs to be replaced, or wheel bearing/hub is bad. Could even be the steering rack. Hell, I dunno.

I know for a fact that the upper ball joint boot is torn, and I'm planning on replacing upper control arm with a Moog in 2 weeks. This noise doesn't sound like a ball joint. This weekend, I am changing front and rear diff gear oil to see if that is the issue.

Lemme know if you've had the same issue or some insight as to what is going on. I'll post updates after gear lube job.

R/

Erik
Old 12-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Might be a cv axle... get under the truck and listen.. or have someone slowly turn while you look under the truck and see if you can pin point it...
Old 12-03-2015, 01:47 PM

It might be the wheel bearing hub assembly too which is a pretty easy fix and about $130 for the part. Jack up the front wheel(s), grab the top & bottom (12&6 O'clock) of the tire and try to rock it. If it moves, bearing is bad, replace. It may move a little if you try to jiggle it holding at 9&3 o'clock. I am working on mine now.

Last edited by BigAlsTonkaToy; 12-03-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigAlsTonkaToy
It might be the wheel bearing hub assembly too which is a pretty easy fix and about $130 for the part. Jack up the front wheel(s), grab the top & bottom (12&6 O'clock) of the tire and try to rock it. If it moves, bearing is bad, replace. It may move a little if you try to jiggle it holding at 9&3 o'clock. I am working on mine now.
Thanks for the troubleshooting advice to both of you. I'm going to get it up on a lift Saturday or Sunday to do some work and diagnose the problem further. I'll post back and go over the results
Old 12-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Update. Changed front and rear differential fluid. Also changed engine oil and put a grease gun to the lower ball joints. I've been told there are no serviceable joints on a stock F150, so these must have been changed out by previous owner. Rear Diff: Used Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-140 gear oil, 4 oz Posi-trac friction modifier, permatex gear oil RTV. Front diff used 75w-90 Mobil 1 and Permatex RTV. Gear oil foamy in rear diff and cloudy, but mo major concerns. Front diff had a bit of black sludge at bottom, but nothing alarming.

I was up on a full lift today and didn't get a chance to put the truck up on a jack to perform hub/ cv axle troubleshooting. Guy at the shop opinion is wheel bearing as well. I'm gonna be back in there next weekend to try and nail this thing down.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 PM

Diagnosis on the noise is going to have to wait. I just lost my transmission a couple of days ago. Put the truck in reverse, heard a nasty pop, and poof, no reverse gear. Ordered a rebuilt HD 4R75E from Monster transmission with upgraded pan for $1898 shipped. Hopefully this one will last.

Quick Reply: Grumbling, groaning noise in front end when going slow and turning right