Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Grinding rear brakes

Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Grinding rear brakes

Ok, I have a bad, metal on metal grinding coming from the right rear brake. I have ordered new rotors and pads, be a couple of days.

The sound when I stop is loud, scraping. Truck stops, just crunchy scraping jaw clenching noise.

Now, first question...if I drive this thing, will I potentially damage the calipers or any other important component?

Second, for two days, I need to drive this thing...safe or not?

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I'd advise against it, but the reality is it All depends on how much braking you're doing... You've made it this far. What's another 2 days? Of course, yes you run the risk of damaging the caliper but it's your truck, your money.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:29 AM

How would it damage the caliper? I know the rotors are shot, but the caliper assembly doesn't actually touch the rotor, just the brake pads, or whatever is left of them, right?

Ordinary travel here, mostly unobstructed highway, a couple lights and stop signs...
Old 04-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only way it could damage the caliper is if the piston moves to far out and binds up or will not press back in I have seen this before. it is never safe to drive with bad brakes but 80% of your braking is from the front brakes, the damage is done just replace them as soon as you can the sooner the better.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:14 AM

The piston is moving, as the noise stops when I realease the brake, but damn. Came on rather suddenly, I am starting to wonder if it is not a disintegrated emergency brake shoe in there...haven't used them in years. I just can't afford to have this thing laid up for a week waiting for new caliper.

Not even sure how to replace a whole caliper, brakes, yes...caliper, not so much.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:37 AM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 337 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Prof
The piston is moving, as the noise stops when I realease the brake, but damn. Came on rather suddenly, I am starting to wonder if it is not a disintegrated emergency brake shoe in there...haven't used them in years. I just can't afford to have this thing laid up for a week waiting for new caliper.

Not even sure how to replace a whole caliper, brakes, yes...caliper, not so much.

I am removing my rear caliper this weekend to replace a torn boot on it. Removing a caliper is pretty straight forward 2 bolts and take off the brake line. Just make sure the brake line is crimped (I just use a piece of cardboard and locking pliers) and pulled up so you don't drip so much brake fluid. That fluid also damages paint so be careful.

After you put the new caliper on you need to bleed the brakes; I plan to do a quick bleed of just that one caliper and then take it do the dealer for a brake fluid flush, need to change it out anyway.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

You should be fine since you're going to fix asap. Messing the caliper up would be something that would likely happen from ignoring the issue. Anything's possible though, I wasn't trying to scare you.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 626 Likes on 563 Posts

Default I would have pulled it immediately and checked it out .

I helped a worker that drove up with a bad sound . Turned out to be a stone in there . Definitely service your emergency brakes while in there .
With the hills and stuff around you its dicey .
Old 04-19-2017, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the responses folks -

I am fortunate that I do not live up or down many mountains; my parts should be here tomorrow and I am going to set up in anticipation - I changed my order from ceramic brakes to semi-metallic (after reading the general derision here about ceramic brakes on trucks), and made sure that I had a pin and boot kit. I already have the Sil-glyde, sockets, told and brake cleen ready...so I am ready to go, when it happens.

I am hoping that I don't get in here and have a bigger problem...I dont think it is a rock, but hell, stranger things have happened...

Going to take it easy till tomorrow...will let you all know what i find out...
Old 04-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Few folks on here have had problems with the parking brake cable coming loose and causing a grinding noise but I wouldn't think this sound would change when you let off the brakes as its a completely separate system.

Search this Thread