Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

grinding noise up front Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise up front Help

here's the deal i recently changed both of my hub actuators because my 4 wheel drive wasn't working. i did one side about 6 to 8 months ago when i did my wheel bearings and the other just a few days ago. 4 wheel drive works now but when I'm on the gas around 40 to 50 (especially on an up hill climb) i get a grinding noise from what i think is the wheel hub actuator and when i get off the gas the noise goes away which make me think that i have a vac leak somewhere if there's anyone out there that can shed a little light on the situation or point me in the right direction i would really appreciate the help
Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 PM

so after alittle more searching i came up with the lwe selenoid and i changed it this afternoon took the truck for a ride after on a hill that would normally put the right amount of stress on the truck to reproduce the noise things seemed good. after alittle last minute xmas shopping on my way home from the mall (not my favorite place to be) the dreaded noise comes back (now im even more stressed than i was in the mall) so now was start checkin every for a vac leek or is there somewheres else i should be lookin

heres anothere fun little fact the other day when i changed the hub actuator i left the vac line of the side i wasnt working on off for about a week because i check that side for vac and forgot to put it back on not one of my brightest moments

and what kind of damage do u guys think can come of this grinding over a long period of time some insight would be great

thanks,
Jesse
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Check the rest of the system for vacuum leaks;

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/836438-everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-iwe-system-and-then-some.html

You've replaced the two biggest common items already. Lines, check valves and reservoir are all that's left.

Long term GEAR grinding is never a good thing...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 PM

yea i found that thread last night after i wrote my post (very helpful to anyone with any problems with there 4 wheel peel) so today i borrowed my fathers vac gauge and probably tomorrow or a little later in the week ill really start to go though it and check all my lines valve and reservoir hopping it not that i cant imagine that's cheep but from what i read im almost leaning towards that because it doesn't make the noise all the time just under a load but i could be wrong in saying that ill have to look over that thread again and go from there

thanks for the help

heres another helpful bit of info the hub actuator i just replace held vac but was stuck in 2 wheel drive i think the rubber just seized up so if u have gone through all ur vac checks and everything seems to check out and ur 4 wheel is still not workin that could be ur prob
Old 12-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

so you here this when you are going up hills....... have you checked your rear u joints or carrier bearing if you have one??
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the same noise but my trucks 2wd I mostly hear mine under part accel, I can get out of it and get back in it and it will stop...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

sounds like ujoint or carrier bearing
Old 12-25-2010, 12:10 PM

so after going through the vac lines i found my problem it was the one way check valve right off of the iwe selenoid the other one in the 4 wheel drive system wasnt that great ether so i replaced them both i called the dealership and the wanted 60 bucks for one and 12 for the other because they dont just sell the valve its the hole set up with the lines and all so i went down to the parts store picked up 2 that would work for 5 bucks a piece so problem solved and no more ginding noise thanks for everyones help
Old 12-26-2010, 06:21 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

That's what these forums are for. As to your previous remark about leaving the vacuum line off the IWE for a week... Did you try to use the 4x4 while that line was disconnected? If so, you might have gotten dirt or moisture into that line, depending on the conditions where you were.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 PM

yea 4 wheel works fine ive been using it on and off these past few days we just got pounded with about 17" of snow

Quick Reply: grinding noise up front Help