Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Grinding Noise/ Power Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding Noise/ Power Steering Issue

I am having an issue with my truck. While driving at 15 mph or faster, there is a grinding noise coming from the front driver's side area. It only happens when I turn left or right and the degree of turn doesn't matter. I feel the grinding in the gas pedal and hear it. Sounds extremely horrible. Also, when I turn the wheel all the way to the right to turn into a parking spot or something, it whines awfully. Also, when I am in a parking lot trying to park or just turning, at less than 5 mph, the power steering quits working and makes parking nearly impossible. Also having an issue with the hub, cv axle and inner brake pad going bad on the front driver's side. I have replaced the cc axle twice in 3 years as well as the hub and it seems about every 8 months I have to replace the brake pads because the inner pad has worn to nothing and is grinding, while the outer pad is wearing normally. I have replaced the caliper twice as well. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by natecc7326
I am having an issue with my truck. While driving at 15 mph or faster, there is a grinding noise coming from the front driver's side area. It only happens when I turn left or right and the degree of turn doesn't matter. I feel the grinding in the gas pedal and hear it. Sounds extremely horrible. Also, when I turn the wheel all the way to the right to turn into a parking spot or something, it whines awfully. Also, when I am in a parking lot trying to park or just turning, at less than 5 mph, the power steering quits working and makes parking nearly impossible. Also having an issue with the hub, cv axle and inner brake pad going bad on the front driver's side. I have replaced the cc axle twice in 3 years as well as the hub and it seems about every 8 months I have to replace the brake pads because the inner pad has worn to nothing and is grinding, while the outer pad is wearing normally. I have replaced the caliper twice as well. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
Silly question, but have you popped the hood and looked at the power steering resevoir level and the steering mechinism itself. When i was shopping for my 04 I noticed more than one form the 04"s to 08"s had their steering shaft replaced coming from the firewall to the steering box joint. i made a mental note and the one I bought had it replaced. I don't know the symptoms but found it interesting. Maybe your power steering pump is going or has a leak. It could all be related or seperate issues with your caliper. Im sorry I can't help specifically but might give you a direction to look.
The following users liked this post:
natecc7326 (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your help. I will look into the steering mechanism. I have checked the resevoir several time just to make sure there is not leak and I have not had any issues with it. How do I figure out if it is the pump going bad? I should be able to tell if the shaft is bad by looking at it, correct?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by natecc7326
Thank you for your help. I will look into the steering mechanism. I have checked the resevoir several time just to make sure there is not leak and I have not had any issues with it. How do I figure out if it is the pump going bad? I should be able to tell if the shaft is bad by looking at it, correct?
I hate to say Im not actually sure of the symptoms of the bad steering shaft. I think its hard to turn or might actually get "stuck" from what I remember the one mechanic told me. As far as the pump going I dont know exactly. Im sure you could find the symptoms on line of a bad steering pump. Sorry Im not alot of help. I just wanted to point out the amount of steering shafts that I saw replaced. Mine already had it when I purchased it so I dont know what it does. Maybe you can have someone turn the wheel side to side with you peeking under the hood and rule out some things.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had this problem, It was my power steering fluid and I also put some wd-40 on the joints of the steering shaft. But now I have a power steering leak so I need to change the hose
Old 04-28-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 237 Likes on 211 Posts
Thumbs up Grinding Noise/ Power Steering Issue

answer to an old post here...the last couple of posts are I believe referring to the lower steering column shaft (replacement) this shaft has a known issue for seizing up @ it's lower u-joint & was originally around $400.00 CDN. to replace + labour now it's around $250.00 +.... There is now on E-Bay a replacement shaft For $49.00 "US" shipped out of Montreal (3-4 days) & will ship to the US....This shaft is for 2004-2008....however if you are handy it will also fit 2009 & up (same ends but a shorter sliding shafts)....the trick here is to shorten the sliding shafts....Just done my 07 & I am about to do my 2010....measure the sliding distance on the old shaft...then cut equal amounts of each shaft from the new shaft...cut-off pieces will be in the neighbourhood of 1.5 to 2" but measure yours to be exact!!! One good thing about this new shaft is the joints are held in with "C-clips" therefore later when it seizes again you should be able to replace the joint or probably re-grease it!!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check your 4WD up front

I had the same issue, even at low speeds, and the symptoms were only felt and heard when turning going out of the neighborhood. Took it to the shop and it was found that a vacuum valve the allows the 4WD to engage up front had gone bad. It’s located somewhere along the firewall maybe. What I was hearing and feeling was the teeth on the hub trying to engage since the system was ‘floating’ freely and trying to engage in the back of the turning wheels when the truck was turning.
I had the cheapo valve replaced for less than $20 in parts and haven’t had a problem since. Apparently water from under the truck gets into it since it’s close to the bottom of the engine compartment and caused it to corrode over time. So it turns out turning INTO those big puddles on the side of country roads isn’t good after all. Mom was right! Hope this helps somebody. Chive On!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:23 PM

Yep...got the Emergency Brake Service malfunction....dealer won't answer calls or messages...probably because they know it's under warranty. been about five hours and nothing. Got a 2015 XLT...ecoboost. Tried cycling several times....now I just don't use the parking brake so I can actually drive. Great....ugh
Old 01-05-2021, 12:14 PM

Default Just got the same warnings

I have a 2107 3.5 na and I just got the parking brake malfunction warning, a service advance trac warning and steering assist fault warning. Blinkers won’t work either. Anyone have any suggestions. I’m at 57xxx miles
Old 06-03-2021, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ShreqBoi
I have a 2107 3.5 na and I just got the parking brake malfunction warning, a service advance trac warning and steering assist fault warning. Blinkers won’t work either. Anyone have any suggestions. I’m at 57xxx miles
2107 code is the TAC--Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor..

Quick Reply: Grinding Noise/ Power Steering Issue