Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gotta ask....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Gotta ask....

For those that have installed a leveling kit in the front; when you tow a trailer or haul something with weight in the bed, does the nose point towards the sky?

Perhaps you are installing air bags in the rear to compinsate for this?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My truck, when I just had the leveling kit, would become "stuck up" when a good size load or loaded trailer was hooked up. I never got an air bag kit, but rather AAL. When I am not loaded, my truck is raked, like from the factory, but w/ that LVL Kit and AAL. When I have a load w/ that same combo, my truck would level out, or just barely, and i mean barely, sag in the rear.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

i have pulled a car trailer with mine before i put the leveling kit on and after. to answer your question it did go up in the air a little but not bad. i think i actually have pictures of both let me see if i can find them.

ok i found them... theyre not the best pics in the world i didnt have the intent to post them after i took them, but you can kinda tell. also when i towed the second time i flipped my draw bar over from a 3 and 1/4 in drop and turned it into a 1/4 raise or something like that. it helped distrubute the load alot.
Attached Thumbnails Gotta ask....-0425091448-00.jpg   Gotta ask....-0425091539-00.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Thanks for the replies...I've debated installing a leveling kit, as I do tow once in awhile. The pics with a car trailer show that they can work with towing.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Come on Bucko, real trucks have rake! Do the 2.5" leveling plus a block in the back.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Thanks for the replies...I've debated installing a leveling kit, as I do tow once in awhile. The pics with a car trailer show that they can work with towing.
You could do the 1.5" level and leave the rear alone. Autosprings makes a 1.5" level spacer. And what towing do you do? from what i remember you saying most of it was hauling a harley around. you wont notice alot with the leveling kit on your truck. and i do still have some rake but its only like a 1/4 inch
Old 04-27-2010, 02:49 PM

just to clarify the first two pics i didnt have the leveling kit installed. in the second two i did.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tow a 24 foot boat ona tandem trailer and there is only slight raise in the front... have a 2.5 hbs level
Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 3" leveling kit on my 06 4x4. Without a load, the nose sits slightly lower. When loaded or towing - pretty much every day - it definitely squats in the back. I do, however, still have the stock shocks (soon to be replaced) that can account for the large amount of sag under load. Check out my album dubbed work pics to see what I am talking about. I like my truck to sit as level as possible when empty, so this is what I get. As you might be able to see, I put a lot of weight in my truck very often, so the rear sag has become more and more severe. I have been running my truck like this since I bought it (over 3 years ago), so the wear and tear has definitely taken its toll. I would actually like to know if there is a way to increase the payload capacity/reduce sag without raising the rear, via aal or other similar methods. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by redefinition1
I have a 3" leveling kit on my 06 4x4. Without a load, the nose sits slightly lower. When loaded or towing - pretty much every day - it definitely squats in the back. I do, however, still have the stock shocks (soon to be replaced) that can account for the large amount of sag under load. Check out my album dubbed work pics to see what I am talking about. I like my truck to sit as level as possible when empty, so this is what I get. As you might be able to see, I put a lot of weight in my truck very often, so the rear sag has become more and more severe. I have been running my truck like this since I bought it (over 3 years ago), so the wear and tear has definitely taken its toll. I would actually like to know if there is a way to increase the payload capacity/reduce sag without raising the rear, via aal or other similar methods. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
you sound like a good candidate for ait bags

Quick Reply: Gotta ask....