Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Got some new Cooper AT tires!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Thumbs up Got some new Cooper AT tires!

I figure I would go ahead and start a new thread on my new tires. I hope to keep updating the thread throughout the tires service life.

I had a difficult time deciding what tire to with.... very difficult. I ended up staying with Cooper for the price and them being made right here in the U.S of A!

Pulled the trigger on some Cooper Discoverer AT3. The price was right and all the great reviews confirmed that I was making an overall educated decision. Consumer reports also listed them as their #1 AT tire comparison test

I'm running Cooper Zeon LTZ tires right now and it was a really nice tire. I wished I would have kept up with them and rotated as I should have. That tire handled just about everything I threw at it and was a very good towing tire. Only flaw was over time as the tire wore it didn't handle standing water very well. It wasn't terrible but I noticed it so that is my main reason for choosing the AT3. It is supposed to do really well in the water and has a more of an open tread pattern for water to escape or flow through.

Overall I'm pretty impressed by the looks of this tire. This tread pattern looks to be better for off road sections compared to the LTZs. The only dislike about the tire is the sidewall. It's not bad but kind of boring to look at. It's conservative, like the LTZs.

I'm going to throw up some pictures in a little while to give you guys some eye candy and if there is any particular questions y'all have, post them up.

Tires will go on tomorrow afternoon so I'll try and snag some before and after shots.

Discoverer AT3 265-60R20
Zeon LTZ 265-60R20
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 159 Likes on 145 Posts

I just put some AT3's on a couple weeks ago. So far so good. Decent ride, quiet, worked fine in show and the price was right.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:36 PM
nathan3306

Originally Posted by Jus Jim
I just put some AT3's on a couple weeks ago. So far so good. Decent ride, quiet, worked fine in show and the price was right.
Awesome! Glad to hear some more good reviews on the tires
Old 02-26-2014, 06:40 PM
nathan3306

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM
PJB

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Ive got Cooper Discoverer ATP's on my truck now. Im hoping they last longer than the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's they replaced. I wasn't happy with those being junk after less than 30k.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running AT3s for a year now. Great tire. Good ground feel and handling our Canadian winters like a champ.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

How many miles did you get out of the zeons? I wish they made them in more sizes, but apparently they don't care to sell many tires.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM
nathan3306

Originally Posted by powerranger262
How many miles did you get out of the zeons? I wish they made them in more sizes, but apparently they don't care to sell many tires.
Man this is one thing I wished I would have kept track of. If I had to guess I got around 35K+

The reason they didn't do well was because of me. I didn't have a lot of money at the time when I purchased them and neglected maintenance on them BIG time. I've never had them balanced since they were installed and hardly ever rotated them (money). Sure it wasn't a lot to get them done but money was tight and trying to keep up with basic maintenance on the vehicle was tough. Plus I was modding the truck, changing those garbage spacer leveling kits, tearing up ball joints, and not getting it aligned in a timely manner like I should have. Young and dumb I suppose.

The Zeon LTZ is a darn good tire and has served our family extremely well. I've never had a flat or had to repair these tires. Plus, they've moved my family and a lot of our crap during our PCS across the country. If you are considering that tire DO IT. You won't be disappointed I would buy them again in a heartbeat. For the quality and price you pay for Coopers, they are an excellent choice!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 PM
nathan3306

I just put the tires on this afternoon so I cannot give a good review at this time. So far my impressions are good. Almost no noise at any speed, you can hear the wind on the windshield more than the tires. Traction seems to be good so far and they have a nice comfortable ride.

The place that installed my tires were very impressed with them. One of the guys that works there runs them on his 150 and swears by them. He is running 35s and stated that he has seen some pretty serious stuff and the coopers haven't let him down. He said he took a curb at 35mph and knew he damaged the tires but to his surprise they were just fine. He knocked the alignment out though.

So far, compared to my Zeon LTZ, these tires are easier to get going but harder to maintain higher speeds with the AT3s. This may be due to the LTZs being worn so much. It's not bad but then again these are brand new with about 30 miles on them.

I really liked my LTZs and they preformed well in a mix of situations. They almost let me down once on a muddy inclined slope but they pulled me through will a little persuasion from the 5.4L.

The only thing I do not like about the tire is no rim guard. Not a huge deal breaker but wished I would have known before hand. The AT3s are modest when it comes to aggressive looks (sidewall) but the tread is mean looking.

If I had to buy again I may look at the LTZs a bit harder for looks alone but I have to keep telling myself that I bought these for the warranty and the better performance they are supposed to offer. I'm almost positive the AT3s will perform better than the LTZs based on the tread pattern design alone. I'm thinking the LTZs will be a better towing tire because they are rated higher and heavier but I have yet to tow with the AT3s. I'll try to keep updating as much as possible before I deploy.

I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Tires under consideration during purchase:
Cooper ZEON LTZ
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Nitto Terra Grappler (dad has these and they ride nice but I don't care for the tread pattern)
Nitto Crosstek
Toyo open country ATII

What won me over was price, reviews, warranty, manufacture location, looks, and previous experience with the tire brand.

Last edited by nathan3306; 02-27-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: yep
Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 PM
nathan3306

Here are some before and after shots. I wished I could have taken them in the exact same locations but for now this will have to do. Plus, I was getting a lot of strange looks from people walking by me at a local shopping mart..

Last edited by nathan3306; 02-27-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: picture

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got some new Cooper AT tires!