Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Getting to top bolt on 5.4 starter

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting to top bolt on 5.4 starter

Hey all. So yeah, I've read everything about getting to the top bolt on the starter on the 5.4s and of course I have been trying different methods myself. I am just wondering if anyone has found a more convenient way of getting that top bolt off.

I am working with jackstands here so basically I will be jacking the truck as far off the ground as possible and possibly removing the passenger side cat & oxy sensor tomorrow to get to that top bolt. I'm pissed and am ready to do this procedure after many attempts to reach the stupid top bolt while messing around.

Has anyone found a good way or position to get to that top bolt? I don't really want to buy any more expensive tools just to get into hard to reach places. I have a 3/4" 90 degree thingy (I am bad w/ names) to unbolt the top bolt but it would be awesome if anyone had a special method short of putting the truck on a garage lift. Man I wish I had one of those.

I will just plug away at this if no one has any good methods, but I'm wondering if anyone has any good tried and true methods here. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Devil's advocate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a good write up.
Step 4
http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...l-starter.html
Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

If you have an air ratchet, toss on an extension and a deep socket. You can get above it.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Something

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the insight all.
It seems that the person who owned the truck before me had the starter replaced and the mechanic installed the starter bolts the wrong way. It looks like they are to be fed into the bolt holes from the starter side, but mine were fed from the firewall side. So I have the exhaust pipe and the tranny drain pipe in my way for that top bolt. But I am going to give it hell and get the stupid bolt off. I can see that it is loose right now and the mechanic did not re-install some other crap correctly. Ehhh. THis is one reason why I do everything myself, besides it being fun.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of luck, it took me 3 friggin hours to get mine out. Did everything but stand on my head. Can't get your hand in from the wheel well, it's too narrow.What a Pain in the A**! Now I have to try to get it back in the new starter!

Last edited by MountNMan; 11-23-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

I just had mine off to replace the manifold. It's all by feel. When I put it back I just used and extension and 1/2 socket (bolt stayed in without falling out) and used my hand to feel the hole then start it. The I attached my ratchet and it made its way back in 1/4 turn at a time. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2023, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top bolt frustration

I will try again tomorrow after spending 5 hours on top bolt. The best route may be the swivel on a deep socket and two 7inch extensions as they reach through that long oblong hole into the engine side of fender well. I can get socket onto bolt by feel. The 12 point socket feels dicey for grip so will use 6 point socket. I did a lot of body work as a teen and worked as fiberglass and rigging tech in a boat shop into my 20’s. So my thought is cut a big access hole above the starter and peen a cover plate to shaped matching contour fit and attach with two sheet metal screws and I have a big box of 3M body mastic strips to seal that cover plate. When in doubt be Tim the Toolman.
Old 10-29-2023, 02:34 PM
Basically incompetent

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I pulled my starter, there was not a top bolt. Whoever did it last was smart and didn't put it in. When I replaced starter I got nervous and put a bolt in there. Had the wife sitting on a bucket in the wheel well guiding my socket onto the bolt, tire was off.

I was laying on the ground and reached up and over and running the socket.

i'm going to swap for a 5.0 starter as soon as I know this long block is running right.

Quick Reply: Getting to top bolt on 5.4 starter