Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Getting ready for full VCT swap ... oil pressure concerns

Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Getting ready for full VCT swap ... oil pressure concerns

All,

Some of you may or may not know...I have some pretty bad, passenger-side VCT phaser noise. I am pretty sure that I can hear some significant chain slap as well during low-RPM rise and accelerator let-off. Anyway...I am a little worried about oil pressure. It seems like every time I turn around, I see a new post about clogged pick-up screens, "you should replace the oil pump" ... and the like.

Here is what my oil pressure is like...sitting in park...

Now here is a video that shows what happens with oil pressure while I am driving. Notice the first 10-15 seconds of the video...I am driving on a surface street at 45mph, about 1800RPM. When I let off the gas, watch the pressure gauge jump around. Normal?

It doesn't seem to happen when I am on the freeway and I let of the gas (as shown later in the video after I have got onto the freeway).

I have everything ... and I mean everything lined-up for this timing-set swap-out. EXCEPT I have not acquired an oil-pump. I think the probability of a broken chain guide is pretty high based on my diagnosis of the noises (used a stethoscope).

Should I get the oil pump too?
Should I plan on dropping the pan (it's a 4wd )

Also...I was trying to figure out where the oil goes first after the oil pump picks it up. Does it go to the block/heads first and oil filter last? Or visa-versa?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Did I **** everybody-off here with my 5.4-3V bashing?

Bump.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting ready for full VCT swap ... oil pressure concerns