Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Gear swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear swap

Hat does it mean to change your gears in a truck? I heard it gives better gas mileage and runs better but I'm not completely sure! Also what should I change too and about how much would that cost? And can I possibly do it myself and save a little money or should I have it professionally done? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarcusScott15
Hat does it mean to change your gears in a truck? I heard it gives better gas mileage and runs better but I'm not completely sure! Also what should I change too and about how much would that cost? And can I possibly do it myself and save a little money or should I have it professionally done? Thanks for your help!
I'm just visiting the site but I'll help you out. Regearing is changing the gear ratio in your differential (the gigantic sphere like thing on your axle). Regearing renders almost pointless unless you run larger-than-stock tires. The higher the gear, the most "power" you get to those wheels, making them easier to turn.

Your diff (short for differential), though, is not something you should crack open unless you feel you need to. It's meant to be a sealed part out of the factory. A lot of "car repair" places will drop the term around and reoil it, but rarely should you ever allow them.

I don't know about F150s tbh, they're geared at what, 3.54? My Tundra was a 4.10 on 34" tires and the power was perfect. Once you start getting up into larger tires, especially if you plan on off roading, you should plan on regearing. 4.10 ratio for 35" tires should be fine, if you start getting up into the 37" range, a 4.56 would be of great help.

To sum it up, if you are on anything below a 33" tire, from my experience, I wouldn't regear. I'm not an expert in this truck (I've owned one F150 and it was a '93 (I think)) but I know off roading. If you post your truck setup, I can be of more help. Feel free to shoot me a PM as well.

To answer your second question:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Differentials.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589
Anything with a number point number number (x.xx) is applicable to the gear ratio. Unless you off road a lot, you want an open diff. But if you off road a lot, and you're regearing anyway... Pull the trigger on a locker they're blissful.

And to answer your last question; I wouldn't let anybody but 4wheelparts themselves do this job. I haven't attempted it myself, but a buddy with a '07 Rubicon got screwed over letting a local shop regear his front and rear diffs.

Last edited by CedarPark; 01-05-2015 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MarcusScott15 (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CedarPark
I'm just visiting the site but I'll help you out. Regearing is changing the gear ratio in your differential (the gigantic sphere like thing on your axle). Regearing renders almost pointless unless you run larger-than-stock tires. The higher the gear, the most "power" you get to those wheels, making them easier to turn. Your diff (short for differential), though, is not something you should crack open unless you feel you need to. It's meant to be a sealed part out of the factory. A lot of "car repair" places will drop the term around and reoil it, but rarely should you ever allow them. I don't know about F150s tbh, they're geared at what, 3.54? My Tundra was a 4.10 on 34" tires and the power was perfect. Once you start getting up into larger tires, especially if you plan on off roading, you should plan on regearing. 4.10 ratio for 35" tires should be fine, if you start getting up into the 37" range, a 4.56 would be of great help. To sum it up, if you are on anything below a 33" tire, from my experience, I wouldn't regear. I'm not an expert in this truck (I've owned one F150 and it was a '93 (I think)) but I know off roading. If you post your truck setup, I can be of more help. Feel free to shoot me a PM as well. To answer your second question: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...=237&t_pt=5589 Anything with a number point number number (x.xx) is applicable to the gear ratio. Unless you off road a lot, you want an open diff. But if you off road a lot, and you're regearing anyway... Pull the trigger on a locker they're blissful. And to answer your last question; I wouldn't let anybody but 4wheelparts themselves do this job. I haven't attempted it myself, but a buddy with a '07 Rubicon got screwed over letting a local shop regear his front and rear diffs.
im running a 33" federal couragia m/t and and I had to lift the front to fit it, but I just was interested in regearing it for better gas mileage and performance
Old 01-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusScott15
im running a 33" federal couragia m/t and and I had to lift the front to fit it, but I just was interested in regearing it for better gas mileage and performance
For the cost, it will take you along time to recover it in gas if you could at all. Which is highly doubtful. With 33's I would leave it alone. Your not going to gain anything economy wise.
The following users liked this post:
MarcusScott15 (01-05-2015)

Quick Reply: Gear swap