Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuse 14 keeps popping

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fuse 14 keeps popping

Hey guys, any ideas on where to start looking for the culprit that is causing fuse 14 to pop. It is a devilish problem because so many items are on fuse 14. I replaced the fuse once and it lasted about 3-4 days and today it popped.

According to the manual these are the items controlled by fuse 14:

Back-up lamp and Daytime Running
Lamps (DRL) relay coil, A/C pressure
switch, Redundant speed control
switch, Heated PCV (5.4L), Trailer
tow back-up lamps relay coil, ABS,
Reverse park aid, EC mirror
Old 11-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

out of the ones listed above...which one's are in your system...ie not everybody has reverse sensing sys and DTRL's
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

check for a short. turn on each of them one at a time then see which one is the culprite then diag from there.. also make sure the proper fuse is being used
Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
out of the ones listed above...which one's are in your system...ie not everybody has reverse sensing sys and DTRL's
I believe I have all of the options, I know I have the reverse sensing sys and I believe the DTRLs are the fog lights?

Originally Posted by devenfx4
check for a short. turn on each of them one at a time then see which one is the culprite then diag from there.. also make sure the proper fuse is being used
Yeah the problem is everything seems to be working properly when I replace the fuse. But I have not done any extensive testing. Basically we noticed that that the AC and reverse sensors were not working and I had the ABS and E-Brake light on in the dash. Finally found the bad fuse and once the fuse is replaced everything appears to be normal.

Shorts can be a bear to find!

Last edited by cabrego; 11-23-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 PM

I just read that the PCV heater can short out and may cause the problem I wonder if there is test for this..
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very interested in your findings as I'm having the same issue. This is the first time I have replaced my fuse so I will soon find out how long it takes to pop! Please let me know what you find out and I will likewise let you know if I find anything.

I spoke to another member who stated that he had a wire from a towing package causing the fuse to pop.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by cabrego
I just read that the PCV heater can short out and may cause the problem I wonder if there is test for this..

Have you encountered any other fuse poppings since you disconnected the PCV heater? What does the PCV heater do and where is it located?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny31595

Have you encountered any other fuse poppings since you disconnected the PCV heater? What does the PCV heater do and where is it located?
So far so good the fuse is still in one piece. Not to sure what the heater does it it is the sensor looking thing bolted on to the driver side of the upper intake. It has a harness and a large vac line connected to it. I think I have posted a picture of it on another thread it is really easy to get to
Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM

So far so good the fuse is still in one piece. Not to sure what the heater does it it is the sensor looking thing bolted on to the driver side of the upper intake. It has a harness and a large vac line connected to it. I think I have posted a picture of it on another thread it is really easy to get to
Glad to hear that you have not had any more reoccurring problems; however I am now trying to figure out why my fuse keeps blowing. It seems like the weather has something to do with the fuse popping. The first time that the fuse blew was a a cold morning (approx 40 degrees), and it occurred as soon I started the truck. The next few times that I started the truck it was warmer (approx 60 degrees) and I didn't have any problem with the fuse blowing. After work today I started the truck and the fuse blew (was approx 45 degrees). The fuse never pops after the truck has initially been started, even as it sat for two hours while I changed the plugs. Was your situation anything like this?

Thanks for your help! and were is the picture of the PVC Heater that you disconnected?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM

Since unplugging the heated pvc have you encountered any other problems with fuse 14 popping? If not can you please let me know where exactly what you have unplugged so I can try same. I have had four fuses pop since the last post.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Fuse 14 keeps popping