Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel tank slow to fill...what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank slow to fill...what's the deal?

Hi all. 2007 5.4 Screw.

When filling at the pumps, I cannot run the nozzle any faster than a moderate trickle, and it wants to click off. I get that backpressure "sighing" noise that rises up the filler neck, and I need to stop the nozzle for a bit. Sure takes a long time to fill at that rate. Is there maybe a vent that could be plugged on the filler neck or something? I also notice, with the GM's I have had in the past, there is a brass colored flap at the inlet; on my f150 it is not there. Is this normal?
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

No brass plate is normal. My moms old Isuzu Rodeo had one but my F150 does not so I think your good there. Couldnt tell you why your gas is slow though. Good luck
Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to look at the EVAP system but on the systems I get to screw with, slow fill = vent solenoid or it's filter is clogged. USUALLY its a cobweb though There may be a tube running alongside the fillerneck. Follow it back to the first connection you can get to and blow air though the part that goes up the filler neck. I'll look tomorrow and see how the system is on these trucks, it may be different.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:49 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I get a similar issue if I don't insert the pump all the way to the rubber splash ring. Anything less and it'll kick itself off with more than 1/3 flow rate.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Uberhater,Troll,Whatever

Received 110 Likes on 49 Posts

Does it happen at different gas stations? I've had all kinds of issues at different pumps...slow fill due to low pump pressure, overflows where the pump doesn't sense the tank/filler neck full and pours gas all over the truck and ground, high pressure pump settings where the thing shuts off as soon as it starts to pump gas...
Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had this issue with mine too. When this happens to me, I normally have the nozzle inserted all the way in and I simply pull it out about a half inch or so. It doesn't happen at all gas stations so I'm guessing it has something to due with the curvature of the nozzle. Might be worth a shot if you haven't tried this already.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't already tried another pump or different station, I'd try that. My old Mercury would do that but only at certain gas stations around the area. I always thought it had something to do with the angle on the nozzle being a little bit different..
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

When in doubt... pull it out! Haha!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 60DRB
.. overflows where the pump doesn't sense the tank/filler neck full and pours gas all over the truck and ground
Man... That one happens all the time for me if I'm not careful. Damn annoying. I figured it was just me because my body lift changed the pipe angle some. I've never had the same issue with any of our other vehicles.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thump
Man... That one happens all the time for me if I'm not careful. Damn annoying. I figured it was just me because my body lift changed the pipe angle some. I've never had the same issue with any of our other vehicles.

Does it harm anything overflowing the tank that way. I have done this twice in the past 14 months.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank slow to fill...what's the deal?