Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel Pump Problem.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Problem.

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 2004 F150 regular cab short bed 2wd. It has 18K miles and i got it for dirt cheep.
The previous owner said that the truck ran great then she parked it for a while and only started it every couple of months, then she decided to sell it and parked it, She didnt start it often and over time the battery died, She put a new battery in it, Drove it about 5 miles and it died again, So I have read up on this problem before and thought it was the fuel pump driver module, So I replaced it, Now the sending unit is reading empty but it is full, Before it was reading empty and then went back to full, Im thinking it is the fuel pump itself. Have any of you had a problem like this? Could it be from the truck sitting and the pump went bad? The Fuel pump makes no noise when you turn the ignition to start.
Thanks Chris.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Change the fuel filter....and recheck the connector to the fuel pump module.

Hope you saved the old one; the modules were on back order a month ago and were hard to get. You could get some money for that used one.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chanhed the fuel filter, it still didnt make a difference, I then changed the fuel pump and it started right up, its still running a little rough so im going to replace the plugs and see how that does, the only thing now is that the fuel sending unit is not reading, when i turn it on it burys the needle to empty when i know it has 15 gallons of gas, I ordered the fuel pump assembly specific for my truck. Any help there ? I really dont feel like dropping the tank again.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:49 AM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

I would check all of the connections. You can usually do this without dropping the tank. You may want the truck up on ramps or jack stands but you can crawl under and sit up and check the connections. Sounds like something is grounding out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Problem.