Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fuel/exhaust smell in cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 04:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel/exhaust smell in cab

I have been all over the forum and saw all the post about checking torque on plugs, I tried it didn't help, had new manifold gaskets put in didn't help...smell is imediatly after turning on heat. If no heat or fan blowing I can't smell it at all...any other ideas where to go with this?
Old 01-24-2017, 06:09 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

What are you working on ?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:35 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default I would be concerned for sure .

Check around injectors and fuel sensor on rail .The injectors are just held down by pressure of fuel rail The fuel rail comes out pretty easily after getting stuff out of way . The injectors are only fitted in both ends with o rings . You must remove battery negative and let her sit for a long while for pressure to bleed off.
Use lots of rags to soak up gas , don't do it with hot engine .
You may have a poor o ring . I clean both ends real well and lube o rings for re installation .
Engine only gets more fuel when pressure starts low(demand system) ,no more pumping it back to tank .
But most complaints are loose spark plugs .
How about your fuel filter under drivers side.
Obvious-- fumes are coming up to bottom of windshield and are picked up by air intake to ac /heat system . My first fear is an engine fire but usually a leak will evaporate gas as it hits hot engine making a nasty explosive vapor . The engine fan helps by dissipating it .
Note you need to change your profile , it is nice to know all the stuff about your truck engine ,year , mods, location helps-- heat ,cold,dust etc. What kind of mech work have you done to your xxxxxxMileage truck . How comfortable are you mechanically ? Nice looking boy there !
Old 01-25-2017, 03:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry just traded the 03 in, the new truck us an 04 lariat 4x4 146,000