Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front end parts replacement

Old 10-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Front end parts replacement

So I have been noticing my steering binding more and more often and figured I probably need a new power steering rack. I was going to ignore it until it gave me more problems, but half the time my steering wheel is tilted 10-20 degrees to the right when driving straight down the road, and after a loud clunk/Jolt from the steering, the truck will drive straight down the road with my steering wheel perfectly straight. I just aligned it less than a month ago when I put my new tires on, so I feel like the steering rack is just getting loose and worn out. I do not want a bad steering rack to make my brand new tires wear unevenly and the steering wheel thing annoys the hell out of me.
At the same time I am doing the rack, I am wondering if I should be doing Ball Joints, tie rod ends stabilizer bar end-links, etc. None of these parts are acting up at all, but I feel like if I am going to have the front end apart, I may as well do them if its only going to cost an extra 2-300 in parts. What are your thoughts? The truck has 149k and counting, and I want it to drive as close to a new truck as possible.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Ford Tech

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Check your front upper control arms, they are notorious for knocking noises. Stick a pry bar in between the top of UCA and the spring and pull down on the bar. If there is movement replace the UCA.
The following users liked this post:
Joelwit (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 07lftdstx
Check your front upper control arms, they are notorious for knocking noises. Stick a pry bar in between the top of UCA and the spring and pull down on the bar. If there is movement replace the UCA.
Should I do this test with or without load on the suspension? I have access to a lift here at work.
The noise come even when I am not moving, so I feel like it is a steering issue, not a suspension issue?

Last edited by Joelwit; 10-15-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Ford Tech

Without a load so on a lift. Shake the tire at 12 and 6 for ball joints and 3 and 9 for tie rod play.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Ford Tech

Also what year do you have?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:23 PM

Also what year do you have?
truck is an 05 lariat crew 4x4
I did the test for balljoints and tie rods and all components felt sound
Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Ford Tech

Hmmm sounding like the steering shaft ujoints are binding up. There's really no way of checking if they are binding, only if you pull the shaft out.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Hmmm sounding like the steering shaft ujoints are binding up. There's really no way of checking if they are binding, only if you pull the shaft out.
Slather that u joint with a generous amount of grease.. If the binding and hard spots in the steering go away then you will know what to fix.. I did this to mine months ago when it was binding bad and it's been smooth ever since. So smooth in fact that I decided to just leave it alone..
You need to really massage that grease onto the u joint. I also put Lucas oil stabilizer on the u joint before I greased it..
Old 10-15-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My steering was binding also a couple months ago
So I took it to my local Ford dealership
Turned out it was the u-joints in the column
About 400 is what it cost me to get it fixed
eBay has the column for about 125. I have no idea what your looking at to put it in but might be worth your time if you are able to install yourself
Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM

I did a "proper" ball joint test (according to my buddy who is an ase master tech) by jacking the truck up at the lower control arm and then checking for play and he determined my lower ball joints are bad. He also suggested that maybe my rack is moving around and the mounts to hold it to the body/frame are loose or bad. I guess that would explain why the steering wheel is at different angles all the time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end parts replacement