Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front end noise driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end noise driving me crazy!

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew Cab with the 5.4 Triton.
I am experiencing a steady not to loud but an annoying knocking/Vibration (not metal on metal) when ever I turn either way no matter how hard or soft I turn the wheel. It will sometimes but not all the time do it when im going straight from a slow take off and when I come to a slow stop. I've jacked the front end up and checked all ball joints, cv joints, u-joints, sway bar links, wheel bearings (by shaking the wheel) and everything appears to be tight and no play what so ever. I do have some meaty a*s tires that rumbles the truck pretty good at slow speed when the knocking/Vibration does occur. Also I've ridin the brakes in turns to see if my brakes were the cause but it still has the steady knock. Any ideas will be greatly appriciated, Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Custom Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the exact same problem man and boy its chappin my *** haha im tearin into the truck in depth tomorrow to figure it out i had my dad drive the truck and i can feel its comin from the passenger side as soon as i figure anything out ill post it its 4:30am that shi*s keepin me up thinkin bout it!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:17 AM

Heck yeah man, its driving me up the wall. Please let me know if you figure something out!
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Custom Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperCross99E
Heck yeah man, its driving me up the wall. Please let me know if you figure something out!
I wound not bein able to mess with my truck today but i found a guy who said it could be the e brake system
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM

Hmmmm that sounds interesting, I will have to give that a look, if I come up with anything I'll let you know
Old 04-29-2012, 04:14 AM

So I checked everything even down to do the vaccum pressure check on my iwe system and everything is in great condition, right down to the tee. But I did in fact found my problem and it came down to my front tires! Front tires had what you call cupping, it's were the tread wears all wacked out which was causing tremendous vibration in my front end at low speeds causing all sorts of rattling making the crazy noises. Rotated them, fronts to the back and it's gone. Damn tires was the culprit this whole damn time. With that being said rotate tires more often to prevent cupping. Hope this helps out!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Custom Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperCross99E
So I checked everything even down to do the vaccum pressure check on my iwe system and everything is in great condition, right down to the tee. But I did in fact found my problem and it came down to my front tires! Front tires had what you call cupping, it's were the tread wears all wacked out which was causing tremendous vibration in my front end at low speeds causing all sorts of rattling making the crazy noises. Rotated them, fronts to the back and it's gone. Damn tires was the culprit this whole damn time. With that being said rotate tires more often to prevent cupping. Hope this helps out!

Front end noise driving me crazy!-image-3574814688.jpg

See the wear ha hopefully cures my shakes n ****
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Im pretty sure that what ur experiencing is the limited slip clutch packs in the rear differential slipping and grabbing due to either worn clutch packs or broken down oil, more specificaly the friction modifier has lost its effectivness. Mine has done this in the past and a simple fluid change with a new bottle of friction modifier fixes it.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:32 PM

The tire looks to be wearing a bit awkward and I do hope that fixes your knocking. As for mgauts my knocking is gone but I will take that in consideration and change out my fluids just to be on the safe side. Thank you all for your inputs!

Quick Reply: Front end noise driving me crazy!