Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front End Noise

I have a 04 Lariat with 5.4l. I have been experiencing a noise when driving in the front end that sounds like something is warped or binding, it does not sound like a clunk or ratchet or tire rubbing.. It happens when driving straight as well as turning right. Sometimes the sound completely goes away. I have done test drives as driver and passenger but no matter what side you sit on it sounds like its coming from that side and you can feel it in your feet when it happens. Its not super loud as it just started happening. I replaced both hubs and the sound is still there. Is this most likely CV axle?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Have you checked the vacuum lines and the solenoid for the IWE system?
Old 05-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by BadFish523
Welcome to the forum. Have you checked the vacuum lines and the solenoid for the IWE system?

Thanks! I've been following this forum for the last 5 years. Usually I find what I need so I don't need to post but this issue is bugging me. I did check all vacuum lines and the solenoid and that looks good. I did destroy the 4wd actuators when my hubs went bad so I ripped out the bladders in the meantime so they wouldn't grind the new hubs. I have a new set coming as well as new cv axles.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:33 PM

One other note. My trucks alignment is off as well. It wants to pull to the right.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

It definitely sounds like either wheel bearings or a vacuum leak in the IWE system. I would make sure and give all of that stuff a run through again just to be sure. If you still have the old IWE solenoid without the rain hood it might be worth the $25 to just replace it with a new one and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:26 PM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

have you jacked the truck up and checked all the drive components?
The wheel shake techniques, maybe even have a buddy rock the steering wheel back and forth to see if something is loose/worn?
Old 05-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Yea ive shaken the tires and theres no play there.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM

I've had wheel bearings go that sound like that. You can tell if your driving straight and swerve a little bit the noise will go away briefly then come back again when you straighten out. At least that's what happened to me. Iwe's sound like your dragging a chain around. Especially during acceleration. Then noise goes away when you let off the throttle. If it always sounds like that then maybe the seleniod.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by FoMoCo1
I've had wheel bearings go that sound like that. You can tell if your driving straight and swerve a little bit the noise will go away briefly then come back again when you straighten out. At least that's what happened to me. Iwe's sound like your dragging a chain around. Especially during acceleration. Then noise goes away when you let off the throttle. If it always sounds like that then maybe the seleniod.
Doesnt sound like chains at all. Its hard to pinpoimt the sound. I have a new spare hub. I think i will swap out the right side when the cv axels show up.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Update

So the noise has gone away after i found that the new passenger side hub was defective. I never installed the new cv axels as amazon sent me HD ones with a 30mm nut and mine has a 13mm axel nut. I also swapped out 4x4 hubs and vacuum pump and everything is working. My last issue is that i get a clunking sound and wobbles from the front end when going over speed bumps. The truck has 180k miles. The sway bar bushings and linkage hasnt been replaced. I ordered moog replacements. Am i on the right path? Btw i have rancho 9k series shocks and struts. All new. Also have replaced ball joints.

Last edited by Shawn Michalski; 07-05-2017 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Forgot wobbling