Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front end Binding

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:54 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Front end Binding

The last couple days, I have been hearing a "jarring bump" under my front end when I turn to the left or right. It has only done it a few times, but it happened while turning either direction. When I gradually turn, it isn't there, only when semi-sharp, for example, while turning at a light from a stop.

It almost sounds like the 4x4 is hanging or something, but, there isn't any resistance to turn or anything. Just sometimes while turning there is that "jarring bump", like it is binding on something and then over coming it.

I'm headed to the alignment shop in the AM and I'm going to get them to take a look at it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, on these trucks the 4x4 is engaged by way of inducing a vacuum on the line. Not by taking the vacuum off of the line?? In my mind, if I had a leak it might cause it to bind a little, but, from what I know, or have heard, the system is engaged by introducing a vacuum, not removing it.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda curious about this myself. my 06 is doing the same thing an its been to the shop three times an got told they had no idea what the issue is until they found a loose heat shield an said that fixed it...wrong boys. so whatever you find out would be helpful
Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 PM
BLOWN club

Integrated Wheel End (IWE) issue? Do a search!! There has been some tsb's related to this system.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:47 PM
BLOWN club

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It was the alignment!! I had the truck aligned a couple months ago and they had to install some cam kits. It turns out that the kit on the left rear of the lower arm came loose and that was causing the binding.

I was relieved as all get out. The truck had a pull to the right when I took it in and this was the culprit.

Left the alignment shop and headed to the tire shop for a rotate and a "forced balance" it rides very well now.

Still curious about this "forced balance" thing, but cruising for 3 hrs yesterday at 75mph on the interstate was smooth as glass for a big *** 4x4 on big *** tires. I'm converted!!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Just Living the Dream

Actually the vacuum pulls the iwe out. When the vehicle is off the iwe is engaged by a spring since there is no vacuum, but when started the vacuum compresses the spring and disengages the iwe. When the 4x4 is turned on, the vacuum us removed and the spring engages the iwe.

Quick Reply: Front end Binding