Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

found my rough idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
2005 XLT F150

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default found my rough idle issue

I was changing out my vct solenoids with the updated part. And I checked the chains the pass side chain is loose and drivers is tight. Even tho I changed out all those parts 6 months ago .. I guess the tensioner is bad.. I got those parts through rock auto ... so.. I'll replace all guides and tensioners with OEM ford parts this time .. prolly explains why I have an oil pressure issue as well. 18 to 24 psi not keeping tension on bank 1 chain

Last edited by gforceman; 01-09-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

so ...the tensioners you bought from rock auto went bad in 6 months ?? what did the guides look like ??
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
2005 XLT F150

Haven't opened it as of yet... but excessive slack on pass side chain I checked when I pulled the vct solenoid .. drivers side stayed tight. Engine was off for 15 min so it bled down quickly telling me the tensioner is bad ... after I replaced thecvct solenoids with the updated ones with smaller drain holes I felt an improvement with rough idle. But gonna have to open it and inspect guide and replace tensioners again with ford part

Last edited by gforceman; 01-09-2013 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by gforceman
Haven't opened it as of yet... but excessive slack on pass side chain I checked when I pulled the vct solenoid .. drivers side stayed tight. Engine was off for 15 min so it bled down quickly telling me the tensioner is bad ... after I replaced thecvct solenoids with the updated ones with smaller drain holes I felt an improvement with rough idle. But gonna have to open it and inspect guide and replace tensioners again with ford part
What timing kit did you get at rock auto???
I'm interested to see some pics once you crack her open again.. Sorry to hear that you gotta do it all over again...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM
2005 XLT F150

Kit I got included.. tensioners guides lower sprocket and chains... I think these parts are made in china.... phasers are dorman.. there good .. but something as critical like tensioners prolly should be bought from ford .. I noticed the spring in the OEM fords (@ 60 bones.. each ) is much stronger than the ones from rock auto were.@ 30 each I'm sure fords have the updated seal as well.

I don't mind reopening as long I don't have to do it again .. haha
. Im not gonna remove valve covers just the timing cover

I also paid 85 bux for BOTH vct solenoids from fordpartsgiant.com

Last edited by gforceman; 01-09-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

Did you replace the VCT housing gaskets when you did the original work? I've seen one other post where those failed as well. They are included in the Fel-Pro front timing cover gasket set, but you would have to take the valve covers off again (and remove the phasers, I'm pretty sure) in order to get to them.

Also, the straight side and tension side of the chains will appear opposite each other when checking through the VCT solenoid hole. You might have been checking the straight (crank pull) side on one head and the cam chain tensioner side on the other. I would expect to notice a difference in chain tension depending on which side of the phaser you checked. Even different camshaft positions can make one chain seem tight while the other feels loose...
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM
2005 XLT F150

Originally Posted by VTX1800N1
Did you replace the VCT housing gaskets when you did the original work? I've seen one other post where those failed as well. They are included in the Fel-Pro front timing cover gasket set, but you would have to take the valve covers off again (and remove the phasers, I'm pretty sure) in order to get to them.

Also, the straight side and tension side of the chains will appear opposite each other when checking through the VCT solenoid hole. You might have been checking the straight (crank pull) side on one head and the cam chain tensioner side on the other. I would expect to notice a difference in chain tension depending on which side of the phaser you checked. Even different camshaft positions can make one chain seem tight while the other feels loose...
Your correct on that. But I have been had an issue with oil pressure the day it happened.. it sat at 30 psi for 6 months . And 3 weeks ago had a rough idle and heard chain slap 2 times after starring.. before all this no noise whatsoever. So I'm thinking a tensioner gave out and my oil pressue drops to 18 psi. Hot.no rattle I idle seems like same characterisrics of a failed tensioner. Like I had before. I have a gauge in cab now
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Sheep Dog

Yeah, 18 PSI on a mod motor is no good. 25 PSI minimum. Might as well pull it all apart again and for sure replace the VCT housing gaskets. Some where I read that there are screens in those housings as well, so make sure they are clean.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 PM
2005 XLT F150

I used to get 70 psi cold now its 60 hot between 18 and 25 ..and do I have to remove the phasers. To remove the vct housings .. my engine is very clean no sludge buildup ... I'll take pix when I get parts when I get time to open it up.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Sheep Dog

I haven't taken one apart yet. I plan to do mine this summer (I have the hot idle diesel noise) if the VCT solenoids with the updated smaller drain holes don't fix it. Just from looking at the Ford exploded diagrams, it appears that yes, you have to remove the phasers in order to get the VCT housings off... but I could be wrong. Only way you will know is if someone else who has replaced those gaskets responds. They are rarely done, however (though I think they should be done with EVERY phaser replacement). You will find out when you tear into it....

Quick Reply: found my rough idle issue