Ford F150 04 5.4 ???? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans



2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ford F150 04 5.4 ????

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 132
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default Ford F150 04 5.4 ????

my truck has the dreaded 5.4 I have taken care of this truck since day one it has 210,000 miles on it. am always worried about the cam phaser issues with this truck so am looking at new 17. my question is it possible to have one of these motors that won't have a issues or is it just a matter of time?
TxFord150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Texas A&M Aggie
 
tareed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 5,297
Thanked 478 Times in 397 Posts
Default

The 5.4 really is a nice engine. I had an '07 with it, I even did the phasers on it. I would say run it until it starts having issues. I sold my '07 when it was on it's third transmission with a whole host of other problems. I could have fixed them all, but I didn't have anywhere to truly work on it and a shop in town was creating more issues with it. That engine never died on me, even when one of the plugs was misfiring. Some hate it, some love it, some have issues, some don't. My recommendation stands, run it until it starts giving you a little trouble then reevaluate unless you just really want a '17. I miss not having a truck payment.
tareed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 132
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareed94 View Post
The 5.4 really is a nice engine. I had an '07 with it, I even did the phasers on it. I would say run it until it starts having issues. I sold my '07 when it was on it's third transmission with a whole host of other problems. I could have fixed them all, but I didn't have anywhere to truly work on it and a shop in town was creating more issues with it. That engine never died on me, even when one of the plugs was misfiring. Some hate it, some love it, some have issues, some don't. My recommendation stands, run it until it starts giving you a little trouble then reevaluate unless you just really want a '17. I miss not having a truck payment.
Yes, I really enjoy not having a truck payment
TxFord150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Texas A&M Aggie
 
tareed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 5,297
Thanked 478 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFord150 View Post
Yes, I really enjoy not having a truck payment
Then I'd advise sticking with your 5.4. Trucks are insanely expensive these days.
tareed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 132
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareed94 View Post
Then I'd advise sticking with your 5.4. Trucks are insanely expensive these days.
Yes that's my delimaa, if I hold on to it too long then am looking at dropping $5K to $7K for a new motor and still have 14yr old truck. Or go ahead and sell now while I can get about $5K for it and add to the down payment.
TxFord150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 129
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Here's my '09 King Ranch with the 5.4L. 212K when I sold it. Only problem I had was an exhaust leak on the passenger side. Serviced every 6-7K with Motorcraft parts only.

It is a good motor, IMO. Just a little maintenance sensitive.

Last edited by 5.0nly; 03-22-2017 at 02:22 AM.
5.0nly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Texas A&M Aggie
 
tareed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 5,297
Thanked 478 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFord150 View Post
Yes that's my delimaa, if I hold on to it too long then am looking at dropping $5K to $7K for a new motor and still have 14yr old truck. Or go ahead and sell now while I can get about $5K for it and add to the down payment.
If the engine goes I'd look at selling for parts, or selling to a scrap yard. What would be good is save a truck payment per month until you decide to buy, then put that in as a down payment. Pretty likely it'll be a bigger down payment than trade in on the truck would be. I only got $7,000 trade in on mine with 181K on it. Mine also had rims, tires, level, sound system, custom headlights, etc. Not saying you can't get $5,000 trade, just saying I'd advise not banking on your trade in. Sounds like your engine is holding up fine, so I'd do the truck payment thing that I mentioned. Any of the 5.4 problems that tend to pop up, don't immediately cause catastrophic failure. People run with phaser ticking for thousands of miles before it jumps time.
tareed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #8
Monks
 
650NutKase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Chuco Town, TX
Posts: 1,258
Thanked 140 Times in 132 Posts
Default

You have a 2004, which is the most susceptible to phaser issues. Honestly, I'm very shocked it lasted to 210k before you had issues with them. Obviously, you are doing something right. IMO, do the full timing job and have a truck that will last you another 200k. The new Motorcraft phasers are a better design and LESS prone to fail. Oil changes every 5k seem to help them last longer. If nothing else is wrong with the truck, why dump it and get into debt for $50k??
650NutKase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
Texas A&M Aggie
 
tareed94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 5,297
Thanked 478 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650NutKase View Post
You have a 2004, which is the most susceptible to phaser issues. Honestly, I'm very shocked it lasted to 210k before you had issues with them. Obviously, you are doing something right. IMO, do the full timing job and have a truck that will last you another 200k. The new Motorcraft phasers are a better design and LESS prone to fail. Oil changes every 5k seem to help them last longer. If nothing else is wrong with the truck, why dump it and get into debt for $50k??
Same thing I'm saying. Wait till you've got some phaser tick, redo the timing, and keep rolling. I owe around $37,000 on my truck after 6 months of payments at $750/month. (Sticker is ~$56,000, talked down to $43,500 due to previous hail damage that was repaired) Trust me, debt and a truck payment is good to avoid.
tareed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 132
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareed94 View Post
If the engine goes I'd look at selling for parts, or selling to a scrap yard. What would be good is save a truck payment per month until you decide to buy, then put that in as a down payment. Pretty likely it'll be a bigger down payment than trade in on the truck would be. I only got $7,000 trade in on mine with 181K on it. Mine also had rims, tires, level, sound system, custom headlights, etc. Not saying you can't get $5,000 trade, just saying I'd advise not banking on your trade in. Sounds like your engine is holding up fine, so I'd do the truck payment thing that I mentioned. Any of the 5.4 problems that tend to pop up, don't immediately cause catastrophic failure. People run with phaser ticking for thousands of miles before it jumps time.
Thanks I did not no that I figured once the phasers go it was catastrophic failure and you would be stuck on the side of the road.
TxFord150 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 2017 F150Forum.com We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: