Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fluctuating rpms, rough idle, uneven accel

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fluctuating rpms, rough idle, uneven accel

Today my 5.4 acted differently. The truck was sitting for a day and when I got about 5 mins down the road when I slowed down at a light, the truck started vibrating and when my foot was steady on the gas, you could hear the motor surging up and down. Then I came to a stop and the tach was moving up and down. When I went to go take off, the truck didn't want to take the gas and the acceleration was uneven. Defiantly didn't accelerate like it should. It eventually cleared up and the rough idle was still there but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was. Check engine light did NOT come on. I've always had a rough idle and the timing was all replaced except for the vct solenoids. Maybe a vct solenoid is sticking?? Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 3,011 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by FordBoy05
Today my 5.4 acted differently. The truck was sitting for a day and when I got about 5 mins down the road when I slowed down at a light, the truck started vibrating and when my foot was steady on the gas, you could hear the motor surging up and down. Then I came to a stop and the tach was moving up and down. When I went to go take off, the truck didn't want to take the gas and the acceleration was uneven. Defiantly didn't accelerate like it should. It eventually cleared up and the rough idle was still there but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was. Check engine light did NOT come on. I've always had a rough idle and the timing was all replaced except for the vct solenoids. Maybe a vct solenoid is sticking?? Any ideas?
Did you at least plug in a scan tool to check for any pending codes?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:11 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

Last tune up? Ever checked out the FPDM?
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM

Did not check the codes because I'm at school and happened before then. Also did not check out the FPDM. Cleaned MAF and throttle body at 94k. Plugs were done at 93k. Also swapped out cylinder 4 coil because it had a mis when I first bought the truck. This hesitation and fluctuating rpms happens rarely, meaning last time it happened was about 2 months ago. The rough idle happens all the time and is worse when warm and has been there before the timing rebuild and also after. I did not torque the plugs down but I'm not sure if that will cause a constant rough idle.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

A loose plug could cause a misfire which would cause a rough idle. Regardless get the plugs torqued properly so they don't come lose.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 AM

It also has a ticking noise that sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor but I also found a exhaust leak on the pass side exhaust pipe. There is about a 3cm hole from rust. The ticking sounds louder when it's warm. I'll check the plugs also. Anything else I could check?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 AM

Should I just go ahead and replace the vct solenoids? They are the only thing I didn't replace since the timing job. Just replaced phasers tensionors guides and chain and sprockets etc. I noticed that there it's oil in the vct solenoid connector. If all the other timing components where bad, is it safe to assume that the solenoids where worn from low oil pressure as well? I have a Mellings M360 oil pump in there now which gives more oil pressure so maybe that's why they aren't acting up that often?
Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

That is going to be a decision you have to make. What year is your truck? What brand of phasers were used? What brand of plugs were used? Did you torque them as stated? Did you plug in a scan tool and look for pending codes? What brand of coil was used on #4? How did you determine you had that misfire on #4? Have you checked for misfires?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd do some coil pack swapping to start to make sure you don't have a bad one or a bad connection. But I would also check fuel issues, throw in a new fuel filter, and definitely check the Fuel Delivery Module! Mine started surging really badly one day, so parked it, when I got back to it later, wouldn't even start. Found the FDM to be so corroded and rotten the circuit board was shorting out. New one in and it runs like a top.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:37 PM

Truck is a 05, all motorcraft timing components, motorcraft plugs, motorcraft coil. Has a brand new motorcraft fuel filter as well.

Last edited by FordBoy05; 05-02-2017 at 12:44 PM.