Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Finally found where the water comes from

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 02:38 AM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Default Finally found where the water comes from

hi all, after finding a soaking wet carpet on the pass side (again) i finally decided it is time to find the problem. so, i removed the entire carpet to dry it, and dig for the leak. then, i took out the pass front inner finder, and sprayed water with a garden hose into the blower/evaporator condensate drain tube.

well, what i found is that the water isnt "backing up over the condensate tray" or "having a plugged drain", as some people suspect the problem to be. in fast, there isnt any drain pan that you can see (if there is one at all, since the whole blower/evaporator is an enclosed unit). since the drain tube is horizontal, the water tends to exit the end of the tube, and then run back towards the firewall on the bottom side of the tube, rather than drip towards the ground.

so, whats happening is that the water is leaking in past the drain tube firewall foam, (obviously not a water tight seal, really just there for chaffing purposes) and goes directly to the pass floorboard.

my local dealer doesnt have any of the 6.00 elbows for the drain tube, so im going to run to napa and see what they have to work.

ohh.... since i have the carpet out, there is a lot more road noise.... and a damn exhaust leak that i never knew about !!!! thats next to fix.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good that you found the leak
Old 10-04-2009, 08:58 AM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

probably wouldnt hurt to put some dynamat down before putting the rug back in. that would really keep the road noise out.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dynamat your ride, you should do it all at once. Not 1/4 of your truck. But thats my .02. Can you post some pics of what region your talking about? My carpet on my passenger side gets wet after rain or a car wash.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:59 AM

sure, ill take a pic tomorrow..... i will show you the drain tube i mentioned also. my local dealer didnt have the "ford fix elbow", so i went to napa and got some 3/4" I.D. tube (about 1" long) and a 3/4" O.D. vacuum tubing elbow. total coast about 5.00, so im cheaper than fords elbow. now i just need to test it by running the truck with A/C full blast and watch the condensate drain out the elwbow. if it drips down, im good to go now.... i hope so !!!

i would estimate that my carpet had about 1/2 gallon or maybe more when i took it out of the truck. i dont know how long it has been soaking up the condensate, but im ready to get it fixed !!!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

yikes, thats not good - sounds like a pain in the rear end. My f150 has a leak in the sealant around the rear window glass. On a really hard rain or even when im spraying the back window while washing it i get a few leaks that get the backseat and whom might be sitting there at the time wet. Had an old sebring that was plagued by leaks but of course - its a rag top too so. Enought said to that extent - but looks good let us know how you make out and if you put dynomat down - other than accoustic properties does dynomat have an advantage in terms of insulation?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:59 PM

here is the drain from the a/c condensate. it only sticks out from the firewall about 1/4" or so. so, here you can see where i added a piece of clear hose, and a plastic elbow.

this pis shows you where the elbow drains down to. this will keep the water from running back towards the firewall and soaking through again.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:43 PM

Hmm gunna compare these pics to my truck tmrw. Seems like I shall do this mod very soon here. Any updates as far as results go?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Stupendous - I've been searching for the help that you've provided with your pictures. I've been dealing with this problem (wet passenger carpet from water coming back through the neoprene seal) all summer and I can't wait to do what you've done to see if it finally stops this madness. Many thanks for sharing your work with photos.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM

Ok, how the hell do you get in there??? I can not figure out how you got in there like at all haha.

Quick Reply: Finally found where the water comes from