Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Finally fixed and running like a new motor!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally fixed and running like a new motor!!

Hi all. Since last year I have been working on my 2004 F150 5.4.
After I bought it it had the ticking and knocking noise from the motor. I followed svares step by step procedure to replace cam phasers, and timing kit. I did not change the vcts at that time as it started to get really cold here. Well the knocking noise went away but I had the ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the engine block.
I also had a real bad hesitation, when the motor was warm. When I accelerated it would bog down.
I changed the gasket around the air filter tray. Still hesitated. I cleaned the throttle body, which was black with carbon and dirt. Bog down, hesitation fixed.
I felt brave and on a roll, so I changed the vcts, but still had the ticking.
Today was cold but some sun, so I thought I would tackle the dreaded spark plug change.
Now I ran a lot of Sea Foam through the gas tank and vacuum hose( at the brake booster ) prior to this. Now I still had the knocking noise and could smell gas/exhaust fumes in my cab once in a while.
I hooked up my air impact gun and went to work. All spun out with no problem. I will tell you that I used some extensions and universal sockets for the rear ones. The right and left side extreme rear plugs came out by hand!!! I couldn't believe it. In other words they were loose!! I was happy and concerned at the same time. Happy that I didn't have to get all worried about the rear ones and concerned that they were so loose, obviously effecting the engine performance.
After completing the s/p change. There was NO MORE TICKING!!!. My truck runs nice and quiet and runs ALOT smoother and has more torque.
I am attaching some photos so as to show everyone what the old ones look like. I will point out the ones that were loose. I have no idea if these old plugs were the originals or have been changed. I did not see any marks or dots to suggest they were originals.
And I forgot to mention that I have 219,000 Kilometers on the truck.
The reason for this rant is I hope it helps anyone who has had the same problems.
I also want to thank EVERYONE here who gave their opinion and tips. Thanks again guys and girls.
Cheers Spike
Attached Images      
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM

The really black spark plugs are the rear ones that were loose!!!
But all in all the cleaner ones don't look too bad. I swear by the use of the Sea Foam.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

How hard was your phaser replacement? Cost and labor?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Default Did it myself

I did all the work myself. I purchased the parts from Rockauto, Amazon and Ebay. Only because I had to hunt down the parts individually. It is not hard just time consuming. If you follow svares how to, it will go perfectly. The only thing I had a problem with was snapping two bolts to to power steering pump, computer bracket and a few others here and there. The bolts were rusted bad. Thank god for pb blaster and a 360' stud remover.
Like Steve said take your time and if you run into problems just search this forum. It was a very valuable resource. Good luck and if I can help you out let me know.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:39 PM

Mine are just making a small amount of noise but i want to be ready to tackle them if it gets any louder..what all parts are needed?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:42 PM

Default Parts list so far

I replaced both cam phasers, timing kit ( tensioners, chain guides, chain followers, and both chains ) both vct solenoids, and spark plugs. Tube of blue locktite for components inside of timing cover. Tube of anti seize. Lots of rags too.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:44 PM

Think it could be done in 3 days by myself lol
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM

Default Sure

Yeah sure you could as long as you have nice weather where you are or a nice warm garage.
And there are always people here to help out if any problems. I would suggest that you print out svares sticky about Final repair to the ticking problem. I did and followed it to the letter.
Just a tip, line up the timing marks before you take the chain off. This will save any guess work when it comes to setting up the timing later on.
I studied svares' notes to almost memory cause I read them over and over.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Ill have to find that sticky...hmm

Quick Reply: Finally fixed and running like a new motor!!