Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Feels like tranny slip but I think it's something else...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM
PURAVIDA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Feels like tranny slip but I think it's something else...

'05 F150 4X4 5.4. So during the last few weeks I've noticed that when I need to get-up-and-go on the highway it feels like my transmission is slipping. A friend said I should look at other suspects first. So on the way home today I was going 50 mph and I pushed it to 80 mph. On the downshift I heard some backfiring and popping from the engine. Also, when it is idling and I rev it, it's the same popping. It's similar to my old '76 GMC when rev'ed. I assume that is gas burning off. Why is this happening? Would it cause my truck to feel like it's shifting weird?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:35 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Does it buck? Could be a lot of things. Start with the easy maintenance problems.

Whens the last time you have changed spark plugs?
Change the fuel filter?
Clean the MAF and throttle body?
Inspect the FPDM?

I would start with the common/cheap problems before I tackle a transmission. Granted, the spark plug change won't be cheap likely if its your first.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Little Whitey

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sub'd. 06 with same symptoms. BTW what is FPDM?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuel Pump Driver Module
Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did the same thing at 60k plugs wires and cops will fix it i did my fuel filter too. A few months latery fdpm crapped out after hitting a laser car wash change them all i bought cheap cops on ebay. Buy the lisle tool off amazon 60 bucks i believe they sell a frequently bought together the lisle tool ans high temp nickle anti sieze.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a ton of great write ups on here on how to change your plugs. The dealer quoted me 300 plus 90 a hr per broken plug. When your doing them have a long Skinny set of needle nose plyers just incase the electrote stick brakes and stays in the bottom
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM
PURAVIDA

My truck is at 83k miles. I changed the fuel filter at 60k. I take it to the dealer for oil change every 3k and I let them inspect it and the like. They never find any problems and it has been a good truck. They tell me that the plugs don't need to be changed until 100k miles. Scares me too much to do it myself, so I'll have the dealer do that (quoted $400 and they won't charge for breaking any) I am interested in cleaning the MAF. I saw a write-up on here once that said something about a special cleaner that doesn't screw up the plastic and a toothbrush but I can't find it. I will look into the FPDM. Will these things fix a rough idle too? In the last 5k miles I've notice the idle getting a little worse.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by rockymtnrider
My truck is at 83k miles. I changed the fuel filter at 60k. I take it to the dealer for oil change every 3k and I let them inspect it and the like. They never find any problems and it has been a good truck. They tell me that the plugs don't need to be changed until 100k miles. Scares me too much to do it myself, so I'll have the dealer do that (quoted $400 and they won't charge for breaking any) I am interested in cleaning the MAF. I saw a write-up on here once that said something about a special cleaner that doesn't screw up the plastic and a toothbrush but I can't find it. I will look into the FPDM. Will these things fix a rough idle too? In the last 5k miles I've notice the idle getting a little worse.
1) $400 for a plug change is pretty decent! Do it! Mine was much more than that.
2) Don't use a brush for cleaning you MAF!!! You need some electrical contact cleaner (CRC makes one). You just unplug and remove the MAF, spray the sensor which should get rid of the dirt, and then reinstall. I do it every few months or so.
3) The toothbrush/special cleaner you are talking about is for the throttle body. You need a cleaner that is safe on throttle bodies so that it doesn't ruin the coating. I used a soft bristle toothbrush too.
4) The FPDM has been known to cause all sorts of weird problems. Intermittent stumbles, rough idle, no start, etc.

Check into these things. Do a search and you will find out what you need for repair. Lots of info as these items are becoming a regular maintenance kind of item for our trucks.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Eat. Sleep. Lift.

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Almost positive Ford changed the plugs from 100k to 60k...So you're due. If it feels like your tires are slipping, or a shudder it's probably your plugs. Mine felt like that at 80k changed my plugs and it runs perfect.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
PURAVIDA

Originally Posted by corey_lax
1) $400 for a plug change is pretty decent! Do it! Mine was much more than that.
2) Don't use a brush for cleaning you MAF!!! You need some electrical contact cleaner (CRC makes one). You just unplug and remove the MAF, spray the sensor which should get rid of the dirt, and then reinstall. I do it every few months or so.
3) The toothbrush/special cleaner you are talking about is for the throttle body. You need a cleaner that is safe on throttle bodies so that it doesn't ruin the coating. I used a soft bristle toothbrush too.
4) The FPDM has been known to cause all sorts of weird problems. Intermittent stumbles, rough idle, no start, etc.

Check into these things. Do a search and you will find out what you need for repair. Lots of info as these items are becoming a regular maintenance kind of item for our trucks.
Thanks for the help, I was getting bugged and the thought of switching over to the Tundra. I'm going to try all the things you listed and leave the plugs for last.

Can anyone verify amick218? This is the first time I've heard of this change in the spark plug replacement interval.

Quick Reply: Feels like tranny slip but I think it's something else...