Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Faulty clutch master cylinder?

Old 06-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty clutch master cylinder?

I had the slave cylinder in my 2004 F-150 Heritage 4.2L truck go out. I had that replaced and also just had the clutch replaced as well. Now after I drive it for about 30 minutes the clutch starts losing pressure each time I shift unless I give it a quick pump and it will regain pressure. If I continue to keep shifting without giving it one little pump it will eventually lose pressure to the point that I can't shift. Then one little pump gets the pressure back and everything is normal for a little bit. The guy at the shop said it sounds like the clutch master cylinder. Does this sound right? If so I was thinking about changing it myself. How hard is it?

Thanks guys,

Matt
Old 06-05-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Symptoms sound like master cylinder bypassing. Unfortunately, I drive an auto so I am unfamiliar with tools necessary. Just treat it like a brake master and bench bleed all the air out before installation.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 PM

I am going to need to do some good research before I tackle this. I refuse to give the garage any more money. It has been outrageous. It is probably going to take me about 5 times the expected time.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Talking Having the same issue..

Originally Posted by wmo964
I had the slave cylinder in my 2004 F-150 Heritage 4.2L truck go out. I had that replaced and also just had the clutch replaced as well. Now after I drive it for about 30 minutes the clutch starts losing pressure each time I shift unless I give it a quick pump and it will regain pressure. If I continue to keep shifting without giving it one little pump it will eventually lose pressure to the point that I can't shift. Then one little pump gets the pressure back and everything is normal for a little bit. The guy at the shop said it sounds like the clutch master cylinder. Does this sound right? If so I was thinking about changing it myself. How hard is it?

Thanks guys,

Matt
Matt,
What did you ever decide to do? Did you change the cylinder youself? How tough was it, Im facing the replacement myself too. Any suggestions?
thanks,
Rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faulty clutch master cylinder?