Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust Resonator

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Exhaust Resonator

Does an exhaust resonator have any real purpose? I have heard that it will help with the droning sound (my truck doesn't have a muffler right now). The exhaust is simply cut off right behind the stock muffler and then a 3" piece is clamped on there. The muffler shop was out of 2.5", going to try to upgrade to a cat back dual exhaust eventually, cause I know this isn't an ideal setup. But I have been getting complaints from neighbors on the drone. I am hoping to get rid of the drone at the low RPM's.

The truck is a 06 5.4L V8 extended cab. What resonator would be best for this case?

Thanks!

Last edited by Blenderite; 01-23-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I hear an actual muffler gets rid of drone pretty well.

Instead of wasting money why not just find a shop that has the piping you want / need to do the exhaust how you want the first time?
Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nddragon01
I hear an actual muffler gets rid of drone pretty well.
Here's the thing, I don't want to make the exhaust any quieter, I just want to removes the drone that is there at low RPM's. When I accelerate at low RPM's (and no I am not talking about stomping the gas or anything dumb like that, just normal acceleration) there is a really loud drone. In the cab its actually makes it even hard to hear the radio unless its cranked up. Annoying for me, but apparently it makes the neighbors windows rattle. He actually told me he doesn't mind a loud exhaust (he has two trucks with loud exhaust) but his wife doesn't like her windows rattled.

Originally Posted by nddragon01
Instead of wasting money why not just find a shop that has the piping you want / need to do the exhaust how you want the first time?
EXCELLENT POINT!! First reason being, I prefer to do the work myself. Secondly, I have spent quite a bit on the truck so far and am wanting to slow down a bit, so if a $60 part solves the problem for now, then I would rather do that right now.

-Nathan
Old 01-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Lol..put a muffler back on it..
Old 01-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Blenderite
...but his wife doesn't like her windows rattled...
So... tell the wife to buy better windows.

I think I have the same exact set up you have now (sawzalled the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler, removed everything rear of that cut) and I've never had a problem with anyone complaining, definitely not about windows rattling.

Maybe I've got "resonator" wrong, but I'm envisioning "Fast & Furious - F150 Style". *insert lawn mower sound coming from truck here*

I'd say the three options are 1) leave it as it is and tell the wife to p!ss off, 2) buy a stock muffler for the truck, 3) buy an aftermarket muffler, and bolt/weld everything up yourself.

The flowmaster series 10s sound good (better than a resonator for sure), can be found for $100 if you look, and you can probably figure out how to mount it in your driveway.

If you decide you're hell-bent on a resonator, well, it's a bold strategy there and I wish you luck.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

Careful, I know the stock resonators on the 5.0's quiet the exhaust quite a bit. The shop I just got my muffler swapped at said they use the resonators they cut off as full on mufflers for rangers and such because they do a good bit of dampening.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

The drone, especially in the cab, is more from the echo occurring under the bed of the truck.

A resonator is meant to change the tone of the exhaust, not to change the volume. Volume control is what the muffler is for. I started my early mechanics career at an exhaust shop so I am pretty familiar with exhaust issues.

You would be far better off putting a 90 pipe on there and exiting out the side of the truck. This will reduce most of the problem you are having, although without a muffler at all, it will still be loud. Use of a resonator is a waste for your use.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (01-25-2017)