Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust Question....

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question....

Ok, I have a 2004, 5.4L, Supercrew, FX4 and just recently put a 40 Series exhaust muffler on. Basically cut out the stock one and had the new one installed. To my surprise I was really disappointed with the way it sounds. I was expecting it to be a lot louder. So what I'm going to do is basically cut off the portion that goes out the back and do a turn down, 18" from the muffler and hope it's louder.

By adding an after market Intake should that help make it louder....?

Oh, and by going straight exhaust, does that have any negative effects on the motor. Saw a video of someone who had done it, but have also heard it has a negative impact on your motor...? Any suggestions….?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM

Anyone...? BUMP
Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM

An aftermarket intake won't make your exhaust louder, though your engine will seem a little louder in the cab. A turndown will help a little, but it will also increase the noise level in the cab. I wouldn't straight pipe it, as I've heard it has a negative impact too. If you want it louder I would've gone with Super 44s or something like that. I haven't gotten my F150 yet so I'm not sure how it will impact the truck specifically, but this is what I've discovered from my Colorado. Maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Straight pipe aint gonna hurt anything but low end power. Its gonna be the loudest thing you can do besides open manifolds haha. I would say if you don't mind the popping and you don't have emissions like we don't in florida then cut both cats on each side. If you do mind the popping like I do then cut the two rear cats. That won't trigger any cel or mess with your o2 sensors. I love my super 44 but sometimes I too wish it was a tad bit louder...could run a cutout too which would be the best of both worlds
Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

just run no muffler should be plenty loud... maybe true duals without mufflers
Old 11-02-2009, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bassanglerFX4
An aftermarket intake won't make your exhaust louder, though your engine will seem a little louder in the cab. A turndown will help a little, but it will also increase the noise level in the cab. I wouldn't straight pipe it, as I've heard it has a negative impact too. If you want it louder I would've gone with Super 44s or something like that. I haven't gotten my F150 yet so I'm not sure how it will impact the truck specifically, but this is what I've discovered from my Colorado. Maybe someone else will chime in.
having no muffler does nothing to hurt the engine.
Originally Posted by bossman15
Straight pipe aint gonna hurt anything but low end power. Its gonna be the loudest thing you can do besides open manifolds haha. I would say if you don't mind the popping and you don't have emissions like we don't in florida then cut both cats on each side. If you do mind the popping like I do then cut the two rear cats. That won't trigger any cel or mess with your o2 sensors. I love my super 44 but sometimes I too wish it was a tad bit louder...could run a cutout too which would be the best of both worlds
straight pipes are not even close to the loudest. you can get way louder with the right setup
Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM

I have heard trucks with the 44 sound good but I don't know what the deference is between the 40 and 44..
Old 11-03-2009, 06:39 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah well obviously this guy wants a cheap quick fix...and that's gonna be straight pipes
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the same thing once i installed my 40 series. Give it some time, it does get better.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

yea i forgot to mention after it breaks in it will get louder, i know my 40 series did

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question....