Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust Opinions on 5.4 Triton

Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Opinions on 5.4 Triton

Hey Guys, I bought my truck with a dual straight out the back exhaust already on it with a Magnaflow muffler(don't think it was the original muffler for the system) and it is just not loud enough for me... I have been looking at different exhaust setups and was wondering few things. Is there a way to modify my current setup to go at a 45 out the back? The pipes I have now are a single 2.5 in and a dual 2.25 out and was wanting to change it up a bit. How do you think dual 12 or 18 inch glasspacks with an X-pipe would sound? I don't care about how loud it is(I'm 18, I want loud). I have the 5.4 with stock headers and front cats still and may want to get long tubes in the future. Just looking for opinions on the setup and if anyone has run it how did you like it?
Old 09-15-2017, 12:02 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

Go with the X-pipe and 18" glasspacks. That set-up would sound pretty horny. Any shop should be able to put a 45 on your tail pipes and run them out the sides behind the rear tire, or in front of the pax side rear. Stick with the 2.25 outs, though. Get a couple of 3.5" slash-cut dumps to mellow it out a little and add some 'beef' to the sound. stick with 2.25" square-cut ends if you're wanting that crackle.

You're down in tropical Georgia, so no salt to worry about. Aluminized would be fine for you.

Glad I'm not your neighbor...
The following users liked this post:
bsuggs22 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 01:50 PM

Haha thanks but I live a mile back in the woods so I don't have to worry about annoying my neighbors at all Do you think this exhaust would "clap"? I really hate the sound of that and find it pretty annoying...
Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

You mean that snapping snarl sound? X-Pipe and glasspacks should take that out.
Check this out:

Slash-cut tips also help with that. Bigger-diameter tips will add some 'depth' to the sound if you like that.
Square cut tips have that sharper, more snarly sound to them. Slash cut are more mellow. I could explain the acoustics to you, if you want, but trust me on that.

Biggest thing, before you do anything, is pay attention to the loud trucks you see. What size tips and what are the ends that you like the best? Then, put that on yours.
The following users liked this post:
GEORGE CHAPPELL (09-15-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Kleven
I have nothing new to add.. ^^ this sums it up.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by bsuggs22
Haha thanks but I live a mile back in the woods so I don't have to worry about annoying my neighbors at all Do you think this exhaust would "clap"? I really hate the sound of that and find it pretty annoying...
That would be from the lack of back pressure...
Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
That would be from the lack of back pressure...
Thanks Mark, don't know much about how exhaust sound works I just know it doesn't sound good to me
Old 09-18-2017, 06:33 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by bsuggs22
Thanks Mark, don't know much about how exhaust sound works I just know it doesn't sound good to me
Yeah.. agree
Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Trio
I have nothing new to add.. ^^ this sums it up.
Originally Posted by Eric Kleven

All states transportation codes have a restriction concerning removing a muffler. Even living out in the country you will be traveling in town so legally the police could fine you if complaints are made.

Inspection places should require mufflers but most don't inspect.

The best exhaust is a quiet one.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by tradosaurus
All states transportation codes have a restriction concerning removing a muffler. Even living out in the country you will be traveling in town so legally the police could fine you if complaints are made.

Inspection places should require mufflers but most don't inspect.

The best exhaust is a quiet one.
I live in an area where I don't have to get an inspection so I don't have to worry about that and have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for loud exhaust in my town

Search this Thread