Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Exhaust opinions

Just bought an '07 5.4 Screw and I am going to be upgrading the exhaust. I've read hundreds of posts about others exhaust's and I would like your opinion on which option would produce a deeper sound. I've seen some questions similar to this about dumping the exhaust right after the muffler, but I couldn't find anything to answer my questions, so here it is...

I am planning on getting either the flowmaster super 44 or 40 series muffler, but which would sound better/deeper?

1) Run a SI/DO muffler and dump it behind the cab
2) Run a Y-pipe to 2 SI/SO mufflers and dump it behind the cab

I've read that this will cause some drone in the cab, but if it gets to the point where I'm annoyed with it, I will just convert it to a side exit before the rear tire. I have a friend who can weld it all up for me so I have no problem experimenting with the dumped exhaust first. I just need to figure out which muffler, or mufflers, to purchase.

My main goal is to get the deepest sound possible. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Last edited by bonez; 01-22-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 107 Likes on 18 Posts

Alright, first off I'd ditch the Flows and get Dynomax Bullets, they are very deep and cheap. Cut the current Y pipe off and run duals with an X pipe until the mufflers then dump them if you wish. If that isn't loud enough get some Magnaflow 94106 cats. Then you'll be talking.

Here's a setup with Bullets, X pipe, and 94106s.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mblouir#p/u/5/qilvL7Lv_z8
Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest not a fan of flowmasters. I had them on my Chevy and on my old f150 and they are just way to raspy. If you want a nice clean sound see what MBRP can hook you up with. I just put their catback system on my truck last night and it is the best sounding exhaust I have heard on a 5.4. Its deep and throaty but its not too loud for cruising but with open up when you want it to. Hope this helps. If not MBRP next best is Magnaflow to me but they're pricey.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 AM
Mamaluke

Personally i like glasspacks. Had them on my 95 5.0 stang with a h pipe and it sounded awesome.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

glasspacks dont sound good IMO on the modular motors, on the old push rods yea, but i dont see why everyone tries to down flowmaster, i love my original 40 series its deep and sounds great has some drone but that why i put it on there for to hear it, i hear crap about hp this hp that but flowmasters are for sound mostly and theyre alot better then that stock oil drum of a muffler we have
Old 01-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Radar Detector Guru

Magnaflow FTW!! I'd go with option #2
Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Black & Chrome

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the opinions. I realize everyone is a little different with their goals for an exhaust, but I am one of the people that happens to like the sounds of flowmasters. Not trying to say that the others are bad, but that sound is what I'm looking for right now. I've had glasspacks before on other vehicles and they sound pretty amazing (and they are cheap), but they also don't get any quieter at highway speeds. I would put them on in a heartbeat if I never had anyone else in my truck with me. I love the noise and it doesn't bother me one bit, but I want to be able to have a conversation with someone else in the truck and not have to try to yell over the exhaust. If glasspacks were like a radio and you could turn them up or down at any given time, I would definately get them, but going with a regular muffler like the flowmasters where I can hear it if I want to stomp on it and not so much at highway speeds is my best option for what I'm looking for.

Not sure if anyone here is running either of the 2 setups I mentioned in the original post, but I would like to hear any thoughts you might have from anyone that has heard either of these setup, or preferably both of them to be able to compare the sound.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is for MAGNAFLOW!
Got mine on (SI/DO rear) 6 months ago and absolutely luv 'em!

I didn't get the loud ones, I don't like drone, but I made the right choice for me.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Previous to current exhaust

I was also looking in to doing my exhaust in the future as well. I like a low deep rumble. I used to have an '01 Ram with hedders going in to the cat and dual 3 to a 45 degree angle out the rear of the truck. Sounded great and the cab noise was almost non existent. I was wondering if I could do the same to my truck with the same results?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Born On a Mountain Top...

Low deep smooth rumble i would go with magnaflow. And would do the SI/DO if you arent sure u will like the dump, so you wont have to run four freakin pipes out with the 2 muffler setup. But the magnaflows sound nice. Flowmaster 40 series is good also, more of a raspy sound but i love it. its all personal opinion. Any dump will resonate in the cab. Im personally partial to the dumped sound. Once agian to each his own. But i like it loud. Check out youtube for clips

Quick Reply: Exhaust opinions