Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Is exhaust heat shield necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is exhaust heat shield necessary?

The heat shield over my exhaust has fallen off of my 2004 Ford F150 Supercab Lariat. It rattled around for a couple days before I figured out what it was. I was able to simply slide it off the exhaust. There are holes where it was presumably bolted to the bottom of the bed, but the heat shield material deteriorated.

How necessary is this heat shield?

Does anyone know how much a replacement costs?

It seems like there is an awful lot of airflow available under the bed for me to shell out much money on this. The gas tank (on the other side of the exhaust) has its own separate heat shield as well.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It keeps the heat from radiating to the cab floor and/or bed floor. I do not know how hot the cab or bed metal floor will get without it. Perhaps others will chime in.

Which area of the exhaust did the shield come off of? From your post, it appears it was in the bed area and not the cab?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:03 PM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004Lariat4wd
The heat shield over my exhaust has fallen off of my 2004 Ford F150 Supercab Lariat. It rattled around for a couple days before I figured out what it was. I was able to simply slide it off the exhaust. There are holes where it was presumably bolted to the bottom of the bed, but the heat shield material deteriorated.

How necessary is this heat shield?

Does anyone know how much a replacement costs?

It seems like there is an awful lot of airflow available under the bed for me to shell out much money on this. The gas tank (on the other side of the exhaust) has its own separate heat shield as well.
If its from your bed,will not matter.Have had mine off for the last 2 years all is still fine.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which one are you talking about. On my truck there is one beside the catalytic converter that protects a rubber boot on the shaft going to the transfer case. If its this one then yes it looks important

Quick Reply: Is exhaust heat shield necessary?