Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust and fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Exhaust and fuel economy

I have a 07 5.4. I have kept up to date on changing plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter. Truck runs fine. I noticed or it seems like my fuel usage has gone way up in the last half year or so. I have never kept track of or documented mileage other than just the fuel gauge. Last summer I ripped my tailpipe off at the outlet of the muffler while 4x4ing. It's 3 or feet long. Never bothered replacing it. A friend mentioned that could definitely have something to do with reduced fuel economy due to the back pressure difference. Is this plausible? What else are the things I should look at?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:07 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Start with actually calculating the number. If you're mid-teens, you're right where you should be.

Have you cleaned out those VCT solenoids?

Where are you located? The last half a year or so means much colder temperatures, and all engines use more fuel when the temperature goes down for a variety of reasons, most based in physics and 1 based in practice...
Old 03-17-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dukedkt442
Start with actually calculating the number. If you're mid-teens, you're right where you should be.

Have you cleaned out those VCT solenoids?

Where are you located? The last half a year or so means much colder temperatures, and all engines use more fuel when the temperature goes down for a variety of reasons, most based in physics and 1 based in practice...
Yes, I have new VCT solenoids. I live in Vancouver so I don't think temperature is a culprit. 1, it doesn't get very cold here 2, I have not noticed in previous years, 3, I said half-year loosely. It's probably been before that.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:48 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by newcoyote
I have a 07 5.4. I have kept up to date on changing plugs, fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter. Truck runs fine. I noticed or it seems like my fuel usage has gone way up in the last half year or so. I have never kept track of or documented mileage other than just the fuel gauge. Last summer I ripped my tailpipe off at the outlet of the muffler while 4x4ing. It's 3 or feet long. Never bothered replacing it. A friend mentioned that could definitely have something to do with reduced fuel economy due to the back pressure difference. Is this plausible? What else are the things I should look at?
How could a missing section of tail pipe have anything to do with back pressure? it’s just hollow pipe. Now if you had ripped off the muffler.. definitely
Old 03-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep

How could a missing section of tail pipe have anything to do with back pressure? it’s just hollow pipe. Now if you had ripped off the muffler.. definitely
Even then, the effect would be marginal on a stock engine. I think this is a case of winter gas and cold idling.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and fuel economy