Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust / Catalytic Converter

Old 04-19-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Exhaust / Catalytic Converter

What's up guys? Couple of questions as I couldn't find a diagram online, and I scanned a hand full of previous threads and didn't see the answers.

It's my understanding that this 2006 LT (5.4L 3V) has 4 cats. Correct? I can't remember what I saw underneath when I had the exhaust done. It's been lowered which makes it difficult to crawl underneath to see what's up. Right now I am running true duals, X-pipe, one 10 Series / Single Stage Flowmaster per side after the X-pipe, SS angled tips, both ran out the passenger side behind the rear wheel. It sounds and looks great. Everyone comments on how it sounds!

On the subject of cats. If there are 4, 2 on each side, and if the O2 sensors are placed before the first cat, and placed after the second cat, then in theory I should be able to remove all 4 cats and install 1 high flow on each side. Correct? If this is the case, then my next question (below) is about known issues.

Any issues with running aftermarket cats with the stock O2 sensors, ECU, or other sensors or readings? I know from experience that some vehicles are VERY PICKY about cats and will only run in the stock configuration with OEM parts. How do these 5.4L 3V, and related equipment, perform with aftermarket high flow cats as explained above?

Any info you can provide would be of great assistance. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

My 08 has 2 cats.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

My 08 has 2 cats also.. but, that don't help him. I can't remember when they started with 2 vice 4.. I know 04/05 have 4.. not sure about 06.. I'm sure somebody will chime in that knows for sure. As for the high flow cat..as long as the 02 sensors are installed where they were in a stock 4 cat system you will be fine.. this may require you having to add 02 bungs. You can get a programmer and have a custom tune written to help with this also.

Search this Thread