Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exact Fit Radio Replacements for 2008 F150 Limited????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exact Fit Radio Replacements for 2008 F150 Limited????

My Limited came with the 6 disc changer. I got a disc stuck in there and it was making a god awful racket. I pulled the changer, took the top off it and removed the stuck disc (and all other discs) but it still makes the damn noise!

Went to Best Buy to look at replacement options. Before even talking about the radio I was told it'd be at least $280 just for all the parts needed to upgrade the head unit, which were all at least $250+!!!

Does anyone know of a replacement head that's a direct plug and play swap that would fit the current opening without have to buy all the parts/pieces to upgrade? All I really need it to support is the SiriusXM that's already in there, the "Line In", and the steering wheel controls.

Thank you!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:38 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 337 Likes on 251 Posts

I mean $250 is what your looking at. Aftermarket units need a dash kit regardless. If you want exact fit you need OEM and the best bet is look on eBay for a used one.

And if you go aftermarket find he parts you need and buy on amazon and you’ll get it 25% less than the box stores.
The following users liked this post:
jsimmy (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Direct fit AND plug and play OEM will be your only option. Heres one on the forum thats not too old of a listing, https://www.f150forum.com/f61/oem-ra...woofer-390444/
Otherwise Ebay has a bunch https://www.ebay.com/itm/Remanufactu...xaCqSU&vxp=mtr Dont know how the Sirus will work, it might have to be matched to the radios ID number.
jsimmy (12-06-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

Crutchfield (no affiliation...). Will sell you the right kit and harness along with the head unit. Or go OEM on CL or fleabay.
jsimmy (12-06-2017)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot recall which forum I saw this on but it shows the plastic gear that goes south and how to replace, I believe it was quick and cheap to do.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

You know what I have in my work room? A six disc OEM radio that I took out of my truck so I could add a much nicer head unit. I've been meaning to do something with it, so if you don't go the aftermarket route, let me know.

Having said that, I paid, all in all, I think almost $500 in parts to swap out head unit, speakers, add steering wheel controls back to the aftermarket stuff, etc.
jsimmy (01-16-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2006 in 13 and found that the six disk changed did the same thing. There is a small plastic gear that commonly breaks. I was able to find a supposedly new changer only on eBay soon after buying the truck and replaced just the changer. I didn't want to change the whole radio with another stock one because it is supposed to be keyed to the VIN and I didn't want to mess with that. Headache. It worked fine for me that way until I decided to upgrade to an aftermarket unit so I could have Bluetooth, etc. I don't have steering wheel controls, but most that I saw could be fitted with a box to make stock steering wheel controls work. I buy my stuff from Sonic Electronics. Just Google it. I have always been happy with price, and customer service too. They have all the wiring harnesses, etc just like crutchfield. It's just personal preference where you shop though. As far as the stock XM unit, it will be cheaper to just get a new universal one for the aftermarket unit. It may not even be possible to connect the OEM unit to a different head unit. Mine is just a screwed down paperweight now. The factory antenna for XM will fit the aftermarket XM unit, however. I didn't find documentation of such anywhere, and the new one comes with an antenna that attaches with a strong magnet. The only modification to make it work is removing a plastic clip. I think I did it without tools even. Hope this helps.