Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Error Codes... :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Error Codes... :(

Hi all, I got my truck read for codes today because the check engine light has been on for a while. It originally came on about 2 months ago when I had just finished driving and came to a stop, the truck idled down to about 300 rpm, then started making a loud ticking/knocking/whatever you want to call it. Having read all about the cam phaser issues and how inept dealers are at addressing the issue, I decided to ignore the CEL. However today my truck did the same thing (I have a video of what it sounds like, but teh interwebz is being slow right now, so I'll upload it later) so i figured I should have the codes checked out. And the thing it did today didn't throw a code (there were only old codes) but it was as I suspected I got

P0340 Cam Position Sensor, and from some searching today I found out that it's bank 1 on the passenger side (no idea what that means though.. lol. I'm not very mechanical). However the one that I was not suspecting/have no idea what it is/didn't find anything yet is

B1318 Low Battery Voltage at Module. What I was told by the mechanic is that apparently the CPU or "brain" (his words, not mine) of the truck received not enough voltage at one point or another (or something like that). Not sure what warning signs of this would be, but I didn't notice anything other than the terrible engine noises I mentioned earlier.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, anyone got any input on B1318? I'm just going to ignore the Cam Position Sensor, because I don't feel like spending $2,000 or more on a truck with 260,000 kilometers. I'll just drive it until it blows up Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Proudly Canadian

Here is the video of what it sounds like. As soon as I turn it off and turn it back on it goes back to sounding how it always does.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The second code (B1318) low voltage is getting set when the RPM's dropped below normal idle (you mentioned 300 RPM). The alternator is not putting out enough voltage. What concerns me though is that the battery should have kept the voltage at 12 volts, unless you where driving or idling for a long period of time with this low RPM condition; the battery will drain without a charge from the alternator.

A simple search on Google provided this:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0340

It provides a description and possible areas to troubleshoot the P0340 code.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Proudly Canadian

Ya, I saw that link that you posted in this thread;
https://www.f150forum.com/f4/p0340-c...problem-33126/
when I was looking about it yesterday. However, the issue that I have is, as I mentioned earlier I have absolutely no knowledge of basically anything mechanical. So while I realize that it would be easy to follow wires to check for bad ones/check voltage/do other stuff, my issue is that I have no idea what the sensor looks like/where it is located. And I'm not exactly sure where to find detailed diagrams/images of where exactly I can find it or what it looks like. So like I said, while I'm sure it's easy, I don't know how to do it. And right now my only option is a mechanic, and I don't really feel like dropping a whole boat load of money on some doofus who might not even be able to fix it. However, if you know where I can find some detailed diagrams or something like that, that would be super! But until I find that (i'm going to google it right now) i am up s**t creek without a paddle Thanks for your help though
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck did the same thing, the same exact codes and the num 1 bank also, as stated before it hapsened when ur idle droped to low, i changed my cam sensor and all the problems went away, remember if the computer cant read the position of the cam it cant adjust anything, it cant misfire ,idle rough, throw codes about over retarded timing, i suggest u have ur sensor changed first well probably fix everything, its really simple open the hood look on the front left part of the engine it well be on the front of the head, theres a plug wth 2 wires on it, i think its a 8 mm socket but thats not sure, then it just pulls out, should take about 5 mins, dont forget to unplug ur batterie for at least 10 min to reset ur computer, fell free to ask if u have any questions
Old 10-06-2010, 09:09 PM
Proudly Canadian

Cool, thanks man. I'll buy the sensor next time I get a chance (which won't be for a little while now) and try to figure it out. I'll update this thread when I actually get a chance to look at my engine and get the part Anyone know anywhere online I can get them from? I'd rather not pay out the a** to buy it from the stealership.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Proudly Canadian

So, i just kind of had a random thought today after thinking about my truck (still haven't had a chance to see if I can actually find what the sensor looks like... works been crazy), and I was wondering why it doesn't do this all the time? I would assume if the cam sensor was bad, wouldn't it make the noise it does all the time? I would assume because its so spaced out (maybe once every two or three and sometimes more, months) it would be something else? Anyone else have any thoughts about it? I'm quite possibly wrong, but just wanted to run it by everyone else. Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine would only miss if i went over 3500 rpm's besides that its had a little rough idle nothing more but when it did go over all hell broke loose, weird noises(timing chain slap) missfires, limp home mode, and so on,
Old 10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Proudly Canadian

Cool

Originally Posted by stp77
mine would only miss if i went over 3500 rpm's besides that its had a little rough idle nothing more but when it did go over all hell broke loose, weird noises(timing chain slap) missfires, limp home mode, and so on,
See, that's what boggles me. Mine only happens when I'm coming to a stop. Its never been in limp mode. Because I have driven it once it started making the noise, to see what happened. It does make the weird noises (heard in video), but other than that, it doesn't do anything like what you have described. It does have a constant ticking noise normally, but from what I have learned recently, I'm assuming that is my injectors. I'm gonna yet replacing that sensor and are what happens. But I'm still not convinced that it is the sole problem..
Old 10-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Proudly Canadian

Sooooo.... I finally picked up the sensor that I needed today, but have an issue.. I have no idea where it is located on the engine.. Damn my lack of mechanical know how.. And any google searches have failed to come up with a picture of where it's located. It'll be simple enough to switch out, it looks like its just an unplug old, plug in new type job. But does anyone have time to take a picture or give a very dumbed down version of where the sensor is located? That would be awesome if someone could, and if not I'll just stumble around it for a couple hours tomorrow until I either figure it out or get pi**ed off and just say screw it. ha ha. Thanks to anyone who helps out

Quick Reply: Error Codes... :(