Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Eonon GA7173 Display Installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 04:11 PM
BbR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Eonon GA7173 Display Installed

Figured I'd give a little review of this Chinese Android display I put in this afternoon.

The install was super easy. Everything plugged up nicely, and the fitment was perfect. In the picture it shows the top of the unit sucked in a little away from the bezel, that's because of my screw up putting it all back together. It sits flush now.

Booted right up on ignition turn. A nice blue ford logo followed up the Eonon. The boot up time is not bad. Holy crap though, it is so smooth and ultra fast loading up apps, and swiping through the menu's is a breeze.

It takes calls to and from my phone super easy with the built in app for bluetooth. The mic isn't too shabby either.

Solid unit for the price. I haven't installed any offline GPS apps yet. Going to search around and see which one is the best to use.

I DO have two issues so far though. My sub doesn't work at the moment, but it does pop every time the ignition is turned. And I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the background LED's behind the buttons to turn on. I think its a option deep in the settings, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm going to pull it apart and see if I can source out my SUB problem, maybe i fudged the wires around.

Anyone have any good apps they recommend?

Last edited by BbR; 07-08-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:52 AM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

There is a wire for the Dimmer / Back lighting of which you speak. Make sure it is properly connected. If so, I'd test it with a meter while turning your lights on so as to make the cluster illuminate which should send a signal to the dimmer wire. The unit I have does not light up some of the buttons until the cluster lights come on.

I use Google Maps. I prefer google simply because......it's google and they own just about everything!!! Na, really, I like it because you can save off line maps to work with, it is FREE, always up to date and on top of their game, it allows you to find other info such as phone numbers, reviews, and location information about the destination you choose, live traffic updates and rerouting measures, and allows customization of route settings (I like to drive backroads when I can avoid the interstate), and it works well when screen mirroring as well.

As far as your sub goes, do you have it hooked to the sub output on the unit? Is it a factory sub? External Amp? Need some info to be able to try and help ya out there.

Unit looks nice!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:43 AM
BbR

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I fixed the sub problem. The only free standing cables left is the blue wire labeled amp, and two with proprietary ends on the them with no labels, but its on the power cluster.

Yea, Ill be connecting the unit to home wifi and just download all the offline maps i can of my area.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Very interested in this HU. Seen it a couple times on this forum. I kinda want it. Couple questions for you if you dont mind. Where did you buy it? Do your steering wheel controls still work? Does the Nav work without WiFi or Cell Data? I saw on Ebay couple of these units and they said fits 2005-2008. I have a 2004 Lariat not sure why it wouldnt work. any insight is helpful
Old 07-09-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the unit quick like an iPad? any android ive ever used was little slugish, also does it have a fan in the back, possibly noisy. I have one in my old f150...drove me nuts
Old 07-26-2017, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed one last week, same issue, no button back light. I contacted Eonon and they said to get the back light you have to go into:
System Settings -> Car Settings -> Extra Settings (password is 123456) -> Panel Light -> Close

Now the back light is on the entire time the Head unit is on but it is better than never on. If you look at the supplied harness, there is no wire connected to the panel illumination pin on the trucks stereo connector so I don't see anyway the unit can turn on the back light based on the panel illumination.

I can't get the reverse camera video to work. There is no wire to connect the reverse trigger to the unit i have, Eonon says it gets the reverse trigger from the CAN bus but I've looked through every wiring diagram I can find for the 2004-2008 F150 and none of them show the radio as having a connection to the trucks CAN Bus, only a CAN network with the DVD player/Rear seat entertainment & Satellite radio (but my truck has neither). Do you have a reverse camera, and does it work?

Thanks
-Brad
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanKephart
Very interested in this HU. Seen it a couple times on this forum. I kinda want it. Couple questions for you if you dont mind. Where did you buy it? Do your steering wheel controls still work? Does the Nav work without WiFi or Cell Data? I saw on Ebay couple of these units and they said fits 2005-2008. I have a 2004 Lariat not sure why it wouldnt work. any insight is helpful
I have the Pumpkin version of this radio so it's not exactly the same http://www.autopumpkin.com/car-dvd-p...-wifi-dvr.html but the build is the same. On mine yes the steering wheel controls still work. The Android OS has an app built in that reads the signals and you can program the controls to perform whatever function you want them to. The GPS will not work without a cell or WIFI signal unless you download the maps and route first. Even then it will struggle with street names and such.

Originally Posted by BryanKephart
Is the unit quick like an iPad? any android ive ever used was little slugish, also does it have a fan in the back, possibly noisy. I have one in my old f150...drove me nuts
I have never used an Ipad so I cant compare that. My Android seems pleanty fast and smooth. I can not hear any fan running on the back of the unit.

Originally Posted by Shadow351
I installed one last week, same issue, no button back light. I contacted Eonon and they said to get the back light you have to go into:
System Settings -> Car Settings -> Extra Settings (password is 123456) -> Panel Light -> Close

Now the back light is on the entire time the Head unit is on but it is better than never on. If you look at the supplied harness, there is no wire connected to the panel illumination pin on the trucks stereo connector so I don't see anyway the unit can turn on the back light based on the panel illumination.

I can't get the reverse camera video to work. There is no wire to connect the reverse trigger to the unit i have, Eonon says it gets the reverse trigger from the CAN bus but I've looked through every wiring diagram I can find for the 2004-2008 F150 and none of them show the radio as having a connection to the trucks CAN Bus, only a CAN network with the DVD player/Rear seat entertainment & Satellite radio (but my truck has neither). Do you have a reverse camera, and does it work?

Thanks
-Brad
The truck does in fact have an illumination wire it is the Orange/White wire on the 24 pin connector. http://metraonline.com/files/products/INST71-5520-1.pdf That wire needs to be connected to the illumination wire on the radio. I dont know what to change the setting to but obviously that is an always on setting. The truck does not have a reverse camera trigger wire. When you added a reverse camera to the truck you should have ran a trigger wire off of the back up light circuit. When the reverse light come on the signal is pulled from that to tell the radio to switch to the camera.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadFish523
The truck does in fact have an illumination wire it is the Orange/White wire on the 24 pin connector. http://metraonline.com/files/products/INST71-5520-1.pdf That wire needs to be connected to the illumination wire on the radio. I dont know what to change the setting to but obviously that is an always on setting. The truck does not have a reverse camera trigger wire. When you added a reverse camera to the truck you should have ran a trigger wire off of the back up light circuit. When the reverse light come on the signal is pulled from that to tell the radio to switch to the camera.
Sorry, I should clarify, The Eonon unit comes pre-wired to plug directly into the truck's factory radio connector. The plug on the Eonon supplied harness does not have a connection to the panel illumination wire (There is no wire on pin 3). I have a reverse trigger input wire I ran (worked with my Kenwood unit that was stolen) but there is no place to connect it to the Eonon unit.
Attached Thumbnails Eonon GA7173 Display Installed-20170725_222356.jpg  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow351
Sorry, I should clarify, The Eonon unit comes pre-wired to plug directly into the truck's factory radio connector. The plug on the Eonon supplied harness does not have a connection to the panel illumination wire (There is no wire on pin 3). I have a reverse trigger input wire I ran (worked with my Kenwood unit that was stolen) but there is no place to connect it to the Eonon unit.
Ah I see. My Pumpkin is prewired also but I had to switch the PIN for the illumination wire as the Pumpkin has it in the wrong location. Also I think my camera trigger wire is not on the plug it was coming out of the unit right where the video wow comes out.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I got one of this from eBay and wheel controls didn't work, as well as (just like yours) the back-light didn't work ether. I contacted the seller (I thin it was the eonan directly) and they replaced it with the new one. The new one was even worse. All of the previous problems plus it was on at all times, even without the keys in the ignition. So I returned it and got this one which is actually Android 7.1 and with 2Gig of ram (vs 1Gig of RAM on the Eonan).
My only complain is that it came without the mounting brackets. I just used the brackets from the OEM radio and modified it a little bit and the volume **** is a bit small, it almost fills like it pushed in to far in to the bazzel. The back-light is always on but I will go back and rewire it later (when I wire my amp), it does have the wire and i can change the settings in the "Factory Settings" menu by interning the password (126).
Overall I'm very pleased with it.