Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Enabling the RKE option- Indpls, IN area

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enabling the RKE option- Indpls, IN area

Hello all, I am obviously new to the board and I am looking to get some help/advice...

I have a background in cars and mechanics(former MOPAR tech yrs go), but don't have many connections in the Ford world. I am wanting to enable the RKE option on a recently purchased 2006 XLT(5.4) truck I bought. It does have the power options and also the flashing LED dash security light, but after attempting the 8 turn key test, the truck locks do nothing. Therefore, it leads me to believe that this is not enabled as of right now.

From my research I've done, I know that it can be turned on with the FORSCAN program/computer, but I really don't want to download the program, fiddle with the codes, and hope that I get it right. I am not looking for much else at this point, as it's really just a beater truck with 300K, but a solid body. I am wondering if somebody in the Indianapolis, IN area would be willing to help me out to get this done. Ford dealers here want about $90 or more to just go in and activate this code.

I do have the five digit number on the body module and a set of fobs to make sure that we did it correctly. Is there somebody out there that would be interested in helping me do this for a couple $$?

Last edited by 88_pacifica; 08-01-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:47 AM
Sh!tllbuffout

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Are yoy sure you have the right fobs? I tried using a fob from my 10th gen to no avail so i bought a couple on amazon and they work fine.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy_Metal
Are you sure you have the right fobs? I tried using a fob from my 10th gen to no avail so i bought a couple on amazon and they work fine.
Yes sir... It is the OEM square style(aftermarket however) that I have.

The problem is not the fobs(I don't believe) because the truck never even enters the programming mode(does the lock cycle) once I do the eight key turns to program.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

Are you turning the key fast enough? It needs to be done in a small amount of time.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:24 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Straight out of the owners manual did you make sure that:

To program the transmitters yourself:
Note: Ensure the brake pedal is not
depressed during this sequence.

• Unlock all doors using the power
door lock/unlock control.
Insert a
key and turn the ignition from
the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON)
position and cycle between 1
(OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight
times in rapid succession (within
10 seconds) with the eighth turn
ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the
programming mode has been entered.
• Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any
button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the
remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds
pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming
mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.)
• Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters.
The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has
been programmed.
• When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn
the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again
the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been
completed.

Just checking, there are some of these little things like hitting the unlock button on the door first, and not pressing the brake pedal that some people over look.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:26 AM
Monks

I was just looking for that ^^ lol
Old 08-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
Are you turning the key fast enough? It needs to be done in a small amount of time.
One turn per second- all well under 10 seconds I have tried it numerous times to be sure(fast and slow). I don't know if that's the issue. When I called th dealer, the confirmed it was not 'sold' as having any RKE option, so that leads me to believe it's not enabled. I don't know of any other way to confirm at this point on whether it is active or not. While the security light does flash(typical of a security system), I have'nt been able to get the information to confirm if that means the system is enabled....
Old 08-01-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

On this year of truck I dont think its a matter of enabling. I think it takes the module and I really thought any truck with power locks had the module. ForScan can't do a lot with 11th gen trucks.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Monks

Enter your vin into this and search for "With Keyless Entry System"
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleReg...QO.eccvas1900e
Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by BadFish523
On this year of truck I dont think its a matter of enabling. I think it takes the module and I really thought any truck with power locks had the module. ForScan can't do a lot with 11th gen trucks.
I see. I was under the impression that, based on my internet surfing, this was integrated into all the body modules that had the five digit code, but just had to be enabled. I do know that there is a 5 digit code on mine for the keyless door-handle entry(removed seat and confirmed). As a matter of fact, I had even toyed with the idea of replacing that handle as well to have another keyless option. I mean, if the vehicle already has keyless entry, adding another factory 'remote pad' is really just plug and play with that RKE enabled.

Originally Posted by 650NutKase
Enter your vin into this and search for "With Keyless Entry System"
https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleReg...QO.eccvas1900e
Awesome, this is a great site. I can see exactly what this thing had. I don't think ChryCo has one this easily accessible for their cars. Here's what it says:
  • With Central Locking System
  • With Door Entry Remote Control Unit
  • Less Keyless Entry System
I know the later gen F150's are more difficult and require a different module, but I thought this was the last gen to be 'all inclusive.' I believe the module is tied into the VIN nd all that stuff or I'd just switch modules. However, based on my car 'experience,' usually the ECM(or ford equivalent) has the basic allowances.

Last edited by 88_pacifica; 08-01-2017 at 02:14 PM.