Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

ECM help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM help please

Ok. I have been going through the ringer with my ac. I got tired of chasing it and took to an ac guy. He said it was ECM not allowing it to turn on. I found the exact ECM for my truck. Same year same numbers and when I put it in it doesn't even start now. Anyone know why?
Anything will help. I'm going crazy.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were to hazard a guess I would say that the pats system is preventing it from starting as the new ecm has a different key programmed to it as opposed to your old one.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Newfiedan
If I were to hazard a guess I would say that the pats system is preventing it from starting as the new ecm has a different key programmed to it as opposed to your old one.
So how do I go about fixing this. I don't know much about ECM so excuse my ignorance. You mean the truck key? It's a 2005 f150 I didn't think there were chips in those.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just about every vehicle made within the last 10 years uses a chipped key. It's called a transponder unit. Any time you replace an ECM or PCM in a vehicle (and also with Ford's BSM) , it needs to be flashed by a dealership or a local mechanic who has an authorization key to do so. Otherwise, the vehicle will not function properly, or at all.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by JByrd825
Just about every vehicle made within the last 10 years uses a chipped key. It's called a transponder unit. Any time you replace an ECM or PCM in a vehicle (and also with Ford's BSM) , it needs to be flashed by a dealership or a local mechanic who has an authorization key to do so. Otherwise, the vehicle will not function properly, or at all.
Took to dealer after I received my PCM and they are telling me it's about $300. This seems crazy to me. Any way to do this yourself?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerod Ellison
Took to dealer after I received my PCM and they are telling me it's about $300. This seems crazy to me. Any way to do this yourself?
Unfortunately, unless you have a computer and an interface, and access to Ford's programming keys...no. You cannot perform this yourself. Most local shops that aren't dealerships can perform a flash for you. But they, themselves, have to pay for a pass on using Ford's keys. Check with a reputable local shop and see of and what they can do for you.

Quick Reply: ECM help please