Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dynomax exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Dynomax exhaust system

I decided to inquire to my mechanic about a catback system and Magnaflow for some reason doesn't manufacture a system that supports the Super/Crew Cabs with 5.5' beds for some reason. So after doing some research he told me about Dynomax and a full stainless system (limited lifetime warranty) called the Ultra Flo. $1,100 installed, good deal or not and does anyone have this exhaust or know someone who does and know what it sounds like? I want something with a nice growl like Magnaflow, but not something obnoxious like Flowmaster, and Dynomax claims there is 0 cab drone with this system.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 123 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad81
I decided to inquire to my mechanic about a catback system and Magnaflow for some reason doesn't manufacture a system that supports the Super/Crew Cabs with 5.5' beds for some reason. So after doing some research he told me about Dynomax and a full stainless system (limited lifetime warranty) called the Ultra Flo. $1,100 installed, good deal or not and does anyone have this exhaust or know someone who does and know what it sounds like? I want something with a nice growl like Magnaflow, but not something obnoxious like Flowmaster, and Dynomax claims there is 0 cab drone with this system.
Holy crap thats a ton of money. That seems EXTREMELY high. I would check out another place. You should be able to get a full catback installed for under 500 bucks. I got a super 44 flowmaster exhaust custom installed a year ago with dual exits 45 degrees out the back for 400 bucks. This is in MA so the price is a little higher than average but not outrageous...I dont know where you are located but 1,100 is high wherever you are...As far as Dynomax goes, I like them. I just recently got rid of the super 44 and got a dynomax ultra flow ss with the roush side exit before the tire and love it. I seem to have a noticeable power bump..just a tad, nothing crazy. Right off the line its more responsive since it is a straight through muffler compared to flowmasters chambered style...chambered is good for sound but not power. The Dynomax is considerably quieter than the flowmaster but that is what i was going for.

Overall, look elsewhere and you will find a better deal!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yep, going to keep looking. I checked out http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-38450/ and the system is $500. He is adding an extremely high markup and after research of my own I found that Magnaflow does have a system that supports 5.5' beds and it's about $100 more than the Dynomax.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want the magnaflow muffler, you can just buy the muffler and have a shop bend the pipe for you. They didn't carry magnaflow mufflers so I bought it and the tips separately, $90 for the muffler and $70 for the tips. I think and they charged me $160 to bend the dual piping and weld in the muffler and tips.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

i think if i were going to change my exhaust i would go with the dynimax x muffler with dual 2.5in exhaust. must cheaper and better flow. but your wasting money unless you go with headers too because you wont gain much.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 06F150CFCT
Holy crap thats a ton of money. That seems EXTREMELY high. I would check out another place. You should be able to get a full catback installed for under 500 bucks. I got a super 44 flowmaster exhaust custom installed a year ago with dual exits 45 degrees out the back for 400 bucks. This is in MA so the price is a little higher than average but not outrageous...I dont know where you are located but 1,100 is high wherever you are...As far as Dynomax goes, I like them. I just recently got rid of the super 44 and got a dynomax ultra flow ss with the roush side exit before the tire and love it. I seem to have a noticeable power bump..just a tad, nothing crazy. Right off the line its more responsive since it is a straight through muffler compared to flowmasters chambered style...chambered is good for sound but not power. The Dynomax is considerably quieter than the flowmaster but that is what i was going for.

Overall, look elsewhere and you will find a better deal!
Holy crap! That's a couple of pennies less than what I paid for my Borla! Why don't you search my post for "Goodbye Dynomax Hello Borla" and see what Dynomax will look like in a couple of years. Is it 400 or 300 series stainless? Dynomax is a joke and I have pictures to prove it. If you want absolutely zero done you have to go with a Corsa. I wouldn't opt for any manufacturer that uses both 400 and 300 series stainless exhausts. It's like a company that has "economy" products then "mid grade" products. I stick to "high end" with a reputation for excellence. And at that price, that's what you should be getting. I hear guys boast about having MBRP, Gibson, etc. yet their exhausts aren't TIG welded and the mufflers are crimped. Yay, it looks cool now but what about down the road? Whatever the case is that is way too much to pay for crap. Hell, $2 is too much to pay for crap!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tradesman

Holy crap! That's a couple of pennies less than what I paid for my Borla! Why don't you search my post for "Goodbye Dynomax Hello Borla" and see what Dynomax will look like in a couple of years. Is it 400 or 300 series stainless? Dynomax is a joke and I have pictures to prove it. If you want absolutely zero done you have to go with a Corsa. I wouldn't opt for any manufacturer that uses both 400 and 300 series stainless exhausts. It's like a company that has "economy" products then "mid grade" products. I stick to "high end" with a reputation for excellence. And at that price, that's what you should be getting. I hear guys boast about having MBRP, Gibson, etc. yet their exhausts aren't TIG welded and the mufflers are crimped. Yay, it looks cool now but what about down the road? Whatever the case is that is way too much to pay for crap. Hell, $2 is too much to pay for crap!
Easy killer...haha. Its not a big deal for me because here in MA the exhaust systems dont seem to last with the elements and I also change them out because I get bored with the ones I have. So it dont matter to me. I was trying something different. This one probably wont last long enough without me switching it out to hear something different anyways. Im not worried one bit though.

Maybe that info can help someone else out but I dont care. I dont mean to be rude or disrespectful. Just telling it how it is. Glad you found something you like though.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:39 PM

Easy killer...haha. Its not a big deal for me because here in MA the exhaust systems dont seem to last with the elements and I also change them out because I get bored with the ones I have. So it dont matter to me. I was trying something different. This one probably wont last long enough without me switching it out to hear something different anyways. Im not worried one bit though.

Maybe that info can help someone else out but I dont care. I dont mean to be rude or disrespectful. Just telling it how it is. Glad you found something you like though.
It's all good, I just want to prevent anyone from buying/installing something they will regret down the road. I do as many write ups on quality parts for our trucks as I can, based on real experiences. Not one to brag, but I spend a lot of time and effort into my upgrades and the write ups are here to help. I've upgraded my brakes (Hawk, AP Racing), LED lighting (Osram, Cree) and now my exhaust (Borla).

One thing you must know about the Dynomax is that they are very loud! The one I had was so loud I had to raise my voice to have a conversation with my passenger. If you like something really loud, you can go with them or a Flowmaster. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by Tradesman; 09-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tradesman

It's all good, I just want to prevent anyone from buying/installing something they will regret down the road. I do as many write ups on quality parts for our trucks as I can, based on real experiences. Not one to brag, but I spend a lot of time and effort into my upgrades and the write ups are here to help. I've upgraded my brakes (Hawk, AP Racing), LED lighting (Osram, Cree) and now my exhaust (Borla).

One thing you must know about the Dynomax is that they are very loud[b/]! The one I had was so loud I had to raise my voice to have a conversation with my passenger. If you like something really loud, you can go with them or a Flowmaster. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
I gotcha...and dont blame you. its always good when people who actually install products give their feedback instead of someone who just reads it somewhere..its like a game of telephone..haha.

My Dynomax is actually really quiet..didnt think it would..i also came from a Super 44 which was super loud so maybe im biased. I have the Ultra Flow Stainless steel muffler and it exits under the passenger rear door before the tire..so much quieter on start and in the cab compared to the Super 44 which exited under the bumper corners.

Question for you though: Do you know the size LED bulb for the puddle lights on the tow mirrors??
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 PM

I gotcha...and dont blame you. its always good when people who actually install products give their feedback instead of someone who just reads it somewhere..its like a game of telephone..haha.

My Dynomax is actually really quiet..didnt think it would..i also came from a Super 44 which was super loud so maybe im biased. I have the Ultra Flow Stainless steel muffler and it exits under the passenger rear door before the tire..so much quieter on start and in the cab compared to the Super 44 which exited under the bumper corners.

Question for you though: Do you know the size LED bulb for the puddle lights on the tow mirrors??
I personally don't have the 06-08 tow mirrors (yet) but according to my datasheet they would be 194/168s. I don't know the mounting position or anything like that so I don't know if a Cree would fit or not. Cree LEDs are generally longer and larger than most regular SMD LEDs as their aluminum heat diffuser takes up space. LEDs with the Osram chipset are mainly for interior use, although their side shining LEDs are extremely bright. Lucky you for having tow mirrors! That'll be one of my upcoming projects.

Quick Reply: Dynomax exhaust system