Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

DTC d262 / PATS / Wiring / Wont Start = HELP PLZ

Old 11-30-2016, 06:39 PM
2004FX4Crew4.6L

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DTC d262 / PATS / Wiring / Wont Start = HELP PLZ

Hi everyone, I'm John, new here...can't mod the truck if it doesnt drive :P
Not sure if this is right Forum as this is my first time posting
I got a pretty big problem & could really use some advice / assistance as im stuck. Thanks for any help in advance.

Some Background Info:
- Bought used 2004 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4.6L w/ 260000 KM
- I have NEVER had any issues & drove daily for 1 month
- I am NOT very mechanically / electronically adapt
- I DONT have a fuse tester / multimeter / ODB-II Scanner, but will buy them
- I DO have a Haynes Repair Manual

Problem:
It RAINED (FAULTY WIRING?) & when I went to start it:
- Then engine will turn over but not start
- Anti Theft Light (PATS) light flickers the flashes 1x slow & then 6x fast
- Check Engine Light is on
- Dashes in the Odometer
- I believe on 2004 truck, PATS has starter/fuel auto-shutoff feature

I think (based on below) the problem im having is a PAT-related or Wiring issue (dashes in odometer & DTC d262) and not the key needing to be reprogrammed or anything else but Im not 100% sure.

What Iv'e Tried / Tested / Researched
1) I tried everything related to simple checks = no luck
- lock/unlock doors with key / spark key / keyless entry
- disconnect both battery terminals for 2 days
- i changed CR2032 Key Battery

2) I checked the fuel pump on/off button (passenger kick panel)
- It is pushed in (off).

3) Since I have NO ODB Scanner nor do I know how to use one yet)
I did the Ford HEC Dealer Test Mode
- Received DTC d262.
- I didn't see anything BAD of the other Descriptions below & all my guages / lights seem to work: (GAGE/BULB/R/EE/DT/DTG/ENG/M/TAC/FUEL/OIL/DEG'C/BATT/rhEo/CR/PA-PE7) = All OK

3) Researching the forum:
- Dashes In Odometer = PCM Power / Faulty Issues = Possible corroded wire from PCM Relay to Fuse Box
- DTC d262 = U1262 D262 Missing SCP Message. SCP (J1850) Communications Bus Fault = Connector is loose or a hardware bus is open, disconnected or damaged from PCM to Cluster
- Anti Theft Light (PATS) light flickers the flashes 1x slow & then 6x fast = Flash Code 1.6 Faulty Link between PATS module (PCM) & EECV

In the next few days a friend of mine with a Scanner will drop by to check it.
In the meantime Im:
- posting here for suggestions / help
- buying a fuse tester, figuring out which fuses are PAT / PCM and test them / or all of them since im a noob...
- attempt to read manual for Cluster to PCM wiring diagrams and see if I find/follow the physical wiring on the truck to see a bad wire or unplugged connector

Besides that or if I even get that far, im screwed
Cheers and thx in advance again

Last edited by 2004F150FX4_4X4; 11-30-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:46 AM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

First - Welcome to the Forum. You will find lots of guys here willing to help.

You have got the trouble code pegged. " DTC d262 = U1262 D262 Missing SCP Message. SCP (J1850) Communications Bus Fault = Connector is loose or a hardware bus is open, disconnected or damaged from PCM to Cluster"

SCP stands for Serial Communications Protocol, which is 'Ford's' specific flavor of the Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1850. Simply put, SCP is data flowing across the network. In this case, the "network" is the bus on which the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is talking to the HEC (Hybrid Electronic Cluster). Info such as speed, RPM, voltages, coolant temp, to name a few is delivered to the cluster from the PCM using a data bus speaking SCP language similar to your LAN.

I would begin by disconnecting battery, unplug connections from the PCM, and the HEC. Clean connections/connectors with electrical spray cleaner and blow all moisture / residual spray out with compressed air. If you have no compressor, use canned air for your computer keyboard. Pay particular attention to the data bus connection and wires, and all grounds (even behind the PCM to the firewall) - checking for chaffing / poor continuity / shorts. You gotta' get a volt-ohm meter.

I have placed a copy of the wiring diagrams for your truck where you can download it from:
http://www.devoll.com/public/f%20150%20wiring.pdf

Good Luck
The following users liked this post:
2004F150FX4_4X4 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:20 AM
2004FX4Crew4.6L

Thank you so much F150Torqued.
I will look over diagrams now. Thank you because I just searched the Haynes Repair Manual and didnt see much of anything.
I also visually looked for PCM under the hood - engine component on left side firewall as per Internet / Manual. I do see something similar enclosed in bracket facing sideways with 3 wire clusters (must be it)
Either way, its late and I have a game plan for next few days & will ask my mechanic friend to come over to help with all this info...
Will update the thread. Cheers & nice to meet you
Old 01-05-2017, 12:14 AM
2004FX4Crew4.6L

Hey Torque thanks again man.
Got it running tonight, just before I brought it to ford !!!!!!!
Everything I & Torque listed above are valid things to check for this MAJOR issue

The final issue / solution in my case was that I had corrosion on terminals / broken wire on the actual Junction Box (If you remove and flip the Junction Box to see the wires that connect to the fuses. My bad wire / corrosion was a Yellow/Black to the Fuel Pump Relay Switch.

The miraculous part was that I was investigating other lines (red power) for the last time before giving up and then suddenly this yellow/black wire appears that I never seen the first few times I looked (I think it broke when i was moving junction box around) and it was broken / corroded.
Sure enough, i cleaned corrosion, reconnected wire and now the odometer displays properly, the anti theft flashing disappears and the car starts...voila

P.S. If you take this problem to ford and dont ask them to check wiring/connectors AND they replace parts (HEC &/OR PCM) youll be paying from $1000 - $2000 and it might not fix the issue, which is really all wiring related...hope that helps someone else

Happy New Year

Last edited by 2004F150FX4_4X4; 01-05-2017 at 12:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (01-05-2017)

Search this Thread