Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Drivetrain noise. Help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain noise. Help diagnose

Just joined. I have a 2005 Ford f150 4x4 with 183,000 miles, automatic. Started hearing a low whine somewhere in my drivetrain. I pulled the driveshaft off and inspected u joints and connections. Found Harmonic Balancer on pinion yoke out of balance (it had moved). I removed it. It is just a ring with a rubber seal. Don't know if it really needs it or not but it wasn't right the way it was. Put all together and it did not seem to improve the noise. It is not accelerator related but does change with speed (get louder). Trying to track it down is tough. I need to be under the truck when going down the road. Not really an option. My guess is within the rear differential. But noise can travel. In a way it almost seems like the 4x4 is engaged. So I checked to see if the front hubs were engaging and disengaging. They appear to disengage ok at hubs but I wonder about the transfer case. Hate to go to a mechanic without having an idea. Hate to see mechanics chasing and putting on new parts and still have problems. Can anyone help me? Ask away. Thanks
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

jack truck up and put on jack stands, have someone inside start and put in gear. using a stethoscope or long screwdriver to your ear listen to the pinion bearings, this is where
the driveshaft connects to the axle, about an inch away then about 3 inches further
back. also listen to the area just into the housing from where the axle tubes are attached on both sides, those are carrier bearings. anything other than a smooth sound indicates a problem and a teardown for complete diagnoses is in order. if the truck has a 2 piece driveshaft ck. the center support bearing by listening to that also. with that kind of mileage it may be time for an axle overhaul. OH, and not all mechanics throw parts at something to try and fix something, after 35 years in the business, I would say the opposite is true. most us us want return customers that trust us and will send others our way. I got out 2 years ago.

OH, and that thing you took off is a noise/vibration damper. your driveshaft needs to be rebalanced now

Last edited by greasyknuckles; 09-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 AM

Unhappy 2007 f-150 with whining noise

So I am having an noise with my 2007 F-150. I think it may be a carrier bearing. I found this video on youtube with the exact noise mine makes. Mine is much quieter than depicted in the video. Is this similar to what you have? If not do you know what it is anyway?

The noise is most audible when I am cruising through town about 40mph. If I let off the gas I can't hear it anymore. I thought maybe it was an idler pulley or tensioner but after seeing this video I fear I am going to be stuck with a very pricey repair bill.

Last edited by wagnerl8; 09-12-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM

hard to tell but it does sound kinda like a pinion bearing. carrier bearing will be about
2/3? slower than driveshaft speed due to gearing,
Old 09-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Greasyknuckles. First I want to apologize for comments I made on part chasing. I will say I have had to many times with that poor scenario. I do not mean to offend the good mechanics. Unfortunately I don't have any in my immediate area that I trust. Best mechanics I know are two hours away. Thank you for correcting me. On the other topic. The sound that wagnerl8 showed us sounds very familiar. I had it up on jack stands and tried to listen but I did not use a stethoscope. I will do that this weekend. The driveshaft is a single driveshaft. I removed the noise vibration damper because it had moved and causing visual wobble. I do not know what is done to balance the driveshaft. Can you explain? About a year ago I had a complete change of rear differential clutches. This was done by the mechanic 2 hours away. A trusted mechanic. I may end up taking it back to him. Question: Do you think the noise vibration damper moving and causing wobble may have caused a bearing issue? Possible the pinion gear bearing? I will have to study up on carrier bearings as I'm always learning. I thank you for your time and experience. Scott
Old 09-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Apology accepted. You would have to take the driveshaft to a drivetrain specialty shop
and get it balanced, they spin balance and add weight by welding a weight on in the
proper place. this may have led to bearing failure, but with that kind of miles it's hard to say. pinion bearing noise is speed related and a whine, carrier bearings are a lower
pitched rumble also speed related. too bad your 800 or so miles away I'd look at it for you.