Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dragging noise at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Dragging noise at high rpm

Today as I was driving back from work, I had to push the gas pedal all the way down in order to avoid a semi running off the road! As I was going full throttle, I heard a noise that I didn't like. It sounds as if I'm dragging a piece of metal on the ground. It runs great when I do this. The only thing is that dragging noise. Does anybody have an idea of what it could be?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:23 PM

Bump
Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Of its only at high rpm and not high speed you can rule out most of your drive train except maybe the torque converter. Any idea on general direction of the noise? If it were the engine I would think you could replicate noise in park. If it's just under heavy load I would consider TC or tranny.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing and is getting worse as I drive it more. I know it is my torque converter and have taken it in twice and they tell me to drive it till it codes or fails. It is a remanufactured Ford transmission with 3year/unlimited warranty so I'm not worried about paying for it when it fails. They have already replaced the converter once 2 months ago so I'm hoping they realize there is another issue here than bad converters from Ford.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM

It does it at when ever I want to get to high speed saying from 20 and up it will get loud. my friends said they have heard when ever I pass them at high speed, and I heard it when I had my windows down and I push my truck and it makes the sound.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sndval1
It does it at when ever I want to get to high speed saying from 20 and up it will get loud. my friends said they have heard when ever I pass them at high speed, and I heard it when I had my windows down and I push my truck and it makes the sound.
This kinda sounds like the IWE issue. When you hammer-down, you produce less vacuum ... and this can cause the IWE to try to "let go" and reengage the drive-shaft splines to the hub (partially or fully).
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by GrimaceTimus

This kinda sounds like the IWE issue. When you hammer-down, you produce less vacuum ... and this can cause the IWE to try to "let go" and reengage the drive-shaft splines to the hub (partially or fully).
Today I've figured out it was from the transmission... I'll go out to the ship and see what they tell me... But any other ideas

Quick Reply: Dragging noise at high rpm