Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Double timing chain guide frustration.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double timing chain guide frustration.....

Thought id share my timing chain guide sufferings. Had timing chain noise coming from my truck, figured id inspect....found broken Rf fixed guide. Bought ebay timing/phaser kit.....big mistake, guide and chain quality looked decent and noticed phaser difference right away. The main spring was like 1/2 the thickness then the oem one. So I installed the kit, motor was quiet and smoother then ever for around...50 miles then the phaser rattle cam back and rough idle. then around 200 miles later timing chain rattle and cold start rattle. Pulled valve covers found broken RF fixed timing chain guide....again and both chain tensioners seals blown out. So bought all new Ford OEM parts and replaced those junky plastic chain tensioners with the metal ones from ford. Also reinstall factory phasers and did phaser lockouts. Truck runs amazing!! has power it never had idles smoother, does have SES light but custom tune will fix that.
Long story short.... DO NOT DO NOT buy aftermarket timing parts for these trucks you will regret it!!
Overall job not bad just sucks to do twice. Especially when you do this for a living

Last edited by White055.43v; 05-22-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling and grammar...

Quick Reply: Double timing chain guide frustration.....