Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

door handle question - no tension?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door handle question - no tension?

I have a 2005 F150 Supercrew 4X4 5.4L. I am having a weird issue with my passenger side door and will try to explain.

My interior passenger side door handle when pulled doesn't "pop" the door open. When I pull the handle I have to push on the door to open it. It doesn't feel like there is any tension in the door handle. So when people are in my truck they pull the handle but think they are locked in. They have to push on the door to open it.

Any ideas? Is the door handle cable driven? Maybe the cable is too stretched? The door does open if you push on the door when you pull the handle but that is it. The door opens normal from the outside. When I pull the inside handle it just doesn't feel like any tension in the handle if that makes sense.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I think I might have had the same exact problem, which you are experiencing. What my issue was, was the cable was disconnected completely (don't ask me how it happened, because I don't know either). Anyways, took off the door panel, reconnected the cable to the door handle, and fixed (could then open the door from the inside). That may be the problem if you haven't checked it out yet. Oh, and mine was the passenger door too, weird. Good luck. Hope this helps out (sorry if it doesn't).
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Thank you for the reply. Is this easy to get too if you take the door panel off? Here is the thing though, my door opens from the inside. But feels like there is no tension in the handle. But if I pull the handle and push on the door it opens from the inside. So i am thinking the cable has to be connected.

However, how hard is it to take the door panel off and see the cable and how it is connected? Maybe if I take the panel off it may show something?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

If you're talking about pushing like trying to open the door, and then pulling the handle works, it would seem that the cable is stretched and the little extra play by moving the door makes it work?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 PM

How hard of a job is it to change the cable possibly?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

my front pass does the same. glad i dont sit there
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Storm Chaser /Navy Vet

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by duketter
Thank you for the reply. Is this easy to get too if you take the door panel off? Here is the thing though, my door opens from the inside. But feels like there is no tension in the handle. But if I pull the handle and push on the door it opens from the inside. So i am thinking the cable has to be connected.

However, how hard is it to take the door panel off and see the cable and how it is connected? Maybe if I take the panel off it may show something?
The door panel is cake to get off. Even a mechanical noob like me took it off, and I didnt even need a manual for it...lol. Everything was right there pretty much.

Last edited by Storm Chasing Ford; 12-18-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Storm Chaser /Navy Vet

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

And to help ya a lil more, I copied this from another f150 forum. Hope it helps...:

- remove two trim screws at bottom of door panel.
- remove the access plate behind the interior door handle (pry out at slot) and two screws (not necessary to remove the handle)
- gently pry up the power window switch panel (part of armrest)
- remove is screw that holds the panel to the door
- remove the speaker cover grill (it pops off with gentle persuasion but is very fragile)
- remove the speaker from the door (4 screws and two wire plugs)
- It's also a good idea to remove the mounting plugs for the speaker screws to eliminate clearance issues (do this by pulling them out carefully so as not to break them)
- to remove the door panel slide it UP about 1 inch to release the clips (it might take a little force but the panel basically just hangs on the door)

Reverse process to install again

Last edited by Storm Chasing Ford; 12-18-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious to see if that fixes it i have the exact same issue on my passenger side door.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the panel info.

Has anyone changed the actual door cable? What kind of procedure would this entail? I am trying to find a part number too to see what a new cable costs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: door handle question - no tension?