Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Do I need to upgrade anything to supercharge my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Do I need to upgrade anything to supercharge my truck?

I have money saved up for my daughters college. She has now decided to join the Coast Guard instead. She will be getting a big bonus to sign up, and get the post 9/11 GI Bill, which is really good.

Now that she's joining, I have some expendable cash I can spend. Thought about buying a new truck, but now I am considering just paying mine off and supercharging it. I am thinking of getting the Whipple supercharger installed. I have read that if I want to go over the stock 8lbs of boost, that I need to do lower end upgrades. (pistons, rods, possibly crank) Is there anything inside of the engine I would need to do with the 8lb setup? Can the tranny handle the extra power?

BTW, just an FYI. I have a new engine that was replaced under warranty approx 25K miles ago.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:25 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

This is just my opinion/$.02, so bear with me. Of the 3 or 4 people I know who have put some form of SC on a stock engine, none have had a long happy life. It will take it's toll on head gaskets, crankshaft bearings and the transmission. You'll learn the meaning of "It was fun while it lasted". It sounds like you have a nice truck with a fresh engine, enjoy it. Your financial situation is an unexpected and welcome surprise, but you don't have to spend it just because its there. Life is full of all kinds of things that can surface when you least expect it. Put it into some good/diverse mutual funds. In 20 years when its quadrupled, you'll thank me. Okay, rant over, have fun.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are a speed freak like me it will end up costing you more money and a lot of time looking at your truck broke down and on Jack stands.
take the money and buy a harley that's what I just did-thought about supercharging my 1997 mustang saleen but new I would keep pushing for more power till it turned around and lost all money invested with nothing to show for it.
​​​​​​​just my opinion
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

I kinda agree with killer. Get a bike or another toy to mess around with. This is not a bolt on and go type of job. There will be lots of tuning involved to get the truck in a reliable, running state. If I were you, I'd keep the truck stock and enjoy the new engine, and get a crotch rocket for speed. Heck, that's what I did haha
Old 04-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Roush Supercharger on my truck. LOVE IT!
I also have three custom programs from Troyer before he retired. I currently have it on a daily driver program with ~550 HP. The extra HP comes from an upgrade to headman headers recently. Runs like a top. I modified the gears to 4.56 so I can turn 37's on 20x10s. No issues if you work the maintenance on the motor. Regular oil changes & fuel filter, spark plug changes every 10,000 miles, upgrade the coils, regular changes on the VCTs as well for the cam phasers. And the basics in maintenance. So LOVE the horsepower and performance! believe me there is a DIFFERENCE! If you have any questions let me know!