Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Discouraged

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Discouraged

My truck is a 2004 Lariat Screw, 4wd with 225,000 miles. I recently replaced the timing chains, guides, and tensioners due to broken guides on the pass side. The timing was way off on the pass side, so we adjusted using the new chains and marked links. The truck has been sitting for many months due to the broken guides and me not having the time to dedicate to the work/fix all at once. So today we finally got it all back together and it didn’t really want to start (super hard start-possibly due to weak battery), but after jumping it, it finally started and ran really, really rough and bellowed so much white smoke that I couldn’t see my neighbors house. The smoke had a distinctive sweet smell which we attributed to antifreeze. Needless to say, I am very disappointed and not really sure where to go or what to do next. I would love some suggestions or ideas from the forum. I have used the forum for so many things in the past, but this is my first request for help. Thank y’all so much in advance.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:12 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Since this is a 5.4l and you replaced IRMC

You must have had intake off . Must not have got new gasket correct and now you have antifreeze getting into cly . Hope you don;t hydro lock cyl and bend rods . Could be surfaces not clean enough for new gaskets . Did you torque it properly in sequence . Mine is plastic ,haven't had it off yet . She will run bad with antifreeze in plug wells . You must clean boots and plugs / maybe new boots .
I also don't like the sound of timing way off on pass side . I hope you used OEM parts esp phasers . Timing is not hard but must be done carefully . Once you take chains off you lose sync between crank and cams/valves . This engine will bend a valve easy . Me I pull cams that way all valves are up no chance of bending . I like to set up the timing points before pulling chains . Crank dot at six oclock , cams cyl 1 and 5 facing per book .

Cam bolt sequence torque value approx 8 foot pounds , tighten each a little at a time before torquing.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Yes. intake had been off previously to replace IMRC valve. Would you recommend removing intake and replacing the gasket? OEM parts in use. When I tore it down the first time to replace the chain guides, some antifreeze did get in the plug wells. I used compressed air to remove and dry them out, but I imagine some may have seeped through. You would recommend replacing the plug boots? Thank you for your reply and recommendations!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:22 PM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Sounds like you got antifreeze in cly taking intake off

Boots must be cleaned and plugs .Once it was in cly it should have been turned over with plugs out to purge,maybe even wet vacuumed . But all of us would tell to to drain engine antifreeze first before pulling intake .. The stuff doesn't evaporate well . I would clean plugs and boots with dawn and wipe dry very well .. Antifreeze system must be burped of air using top hose when filling .
Plugs must be hosp clean . Torque plugs with torque wrench 25 to 28 foot pounds .
I doubt if antifreeze would go past plug threads .You judgement on intake gasket and cleaning.
The following users liked this post:
fordy6 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Chief Engineer

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Your assumption is that antifreeze is getting into one or more cylinders? If correct, there's a quick way to check. If antifreeze is getting into the cylinders then it's also getting around the rings and into your oil. Check your oil for water contamination. It doesn't take much water to turn your oil white. It should show up well on the dipstick.

But lots of other things will cause your engine to smoke. Worn valve guides and seals could allow oil to drain in to the cylinders on an engine with 225k miles. I used to put magic mystery oil in cylinders on engines that sat for long period of time, like after a 6 month deployment and they would smoke white terribly.

You say say the pass side timing was way off? How much? One link? Two? How did you determine the timing was off? Did the engine run well before your repairs? Maybe you used the wrong metric and the timing was ok. Is there some way to reset the timing to match the original?

Redfishtd is correct in all in all he says. But before I started looking at all that I would check the work you just did and verify its all correct.
The following users liked this post:
fordy6 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 02:57 PM

thank you all for your replies. I will attempt to clean and dry boots and plugs, check the oil to see if water has gotten mixed in. The timing was off approximately 5 or 6 links. We came to this conclusion by checking the placement of the new chain against the bottom sprocket mark, and the mark on the pass side phaser. The driver side lined up beautifully. I can retrace my steps regarding the intake manifold ensuring all gaskets are good and the area is clean if the other checks mentioned turn out good. Again, thank you for your help and wisdom. I hate seeing the old gal just sitting in the driveway and look forward to driving her again (soon)!

Quick Reply: Discouraged