Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Difficulty in removing heater-ac blower motor

Old 05-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficulty in removing heater-ac blower motor

I have a 2006 F150 and am having a problem in removing the ac heater blower fan/motor in order to determine what is making it noisy. This is secured with three 8mm hexhead screws and so far I have only been able to remove two of them as it has been difficult to to remove the last one which is closest to the footwell. The reason being that the access is very limited as one has to crawl between the seat and the door and reaching the hex screw with a small socket or ratchet wrench is a stretch (literally), at least for me as I have wide shoulders and short arms. If I had a ratchet wrench about a foot long I could probably do it, but they don't exist. I have tried a 3/4" drive impact wrench which can reach the hex head but is to deep to fit. I looked up a youtube video and the guy managed to remove all screws easily! Grrrr! The video was produced by an auto parts co. In the real world is there any one out there who have done that job using regular tools without being super slim and having a long reach?
Right now I have 3 options - 1. Take it to a Ford dealer. 2. Remove the passenger seat and maybe the door to allow better access. 3. Find some skinny kid with long arms. 4. Buy a 1/4" impact wrench and hope the depth is less than my 3/8".
Does anyone out there have another idea?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

There is no reason you can't get the last bolt out. I just did this 2 weeks ago and used a standard size 8mm gear wrench on that last bolt.. It was truly harder for me to get the bolts started with the new motor.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 291 Likes on 238 Posts

Extend the gear wrench with some round stock and a few hose clamps if that's what you need. If it's 8mm, I doubt it requires much torque to free...
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got it out! I bought a 12" long ratchet wrench from Harbor Freight and got it onto that last hexhead after cutting some underpad away to make room. Even removing the fan/motor was hard because of the footwell and remaining underfelt, Have ordered a replacement part but am NOT looking forward to installing. Went onto a You tube video and some other respondent was posting that video made it look easy but in actuality it was very difficult, while others posted that it only took a few minutes! I think the difference must be related to whether the truck had underfelt and how slim and how long an arm the person repairing had. The Amazon site where I ordered the new one again had similar comments to the effect that the part was good but getting the old one out and the new one in was a pain..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difficulty in removing heater-ac blower motor