Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Different Sounding Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different Sounding Dual Exhaust

I have a 2004 F150 Lariat 5.4 Triton. It has true dual exhaust with each pipe having a glasspack. The cats are still on. The tips are 2.5" and come out behind the tires. The two sound completely different. The driver side (longer pipe) sounds good and like a normal glasspack would. The passenger side (shorter pipe) sounds terrible. It has an extremely fluttery sound, almost like theres a small hole in the pipe. Holes have been checked twice and none. I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to fix this. I was thinking about completely straight piping it but I'm not sure if this would help.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have an H pipe or X pipe configuration to equalize the two banks of cylinders? true TRUE duals where each side of the motor has it's own independent exhaust and is not nearly as efficient as having and X or H crossover configuration. Some would argue that fact as "myth", but scavenging effects are increased exponentially if the exhaust pulses can be allowed to equalize between the banks.

It sounds like your glass pack may be blowing out prematurely?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an 04 like you do. It's the only year for this body style that has 4 cats, instead of only 2 total from 05-present. They tend to be quieter than the new 2 cat engines. Could you have some restriction or issue with one of the cats that could be causing the issue?

Quick Reply: Different Sounding Dual Exhaust