Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Diesel Swap F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diesel Swap F150

I've been looking to swap a diesel into my truck but not sure if I'll get enough power. I have a 2004 F150 FX4 5.4 with 3.73ls as of next week it will be on a rcx 6" and either on 35 or 37. I was looking at putting in a 4bt or 6bt but not sure if ill get the power I need. It's my dd but also my mud truck. I'm usually in mud almost covering my 33s. Has anyone done this swap or know anyone who can give good advice. Sorry if this isn't clear
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcglynn
I've been looking to swap a diesel into my truck but not sure if I'll get enough power. I have a 2004 F150 FX4 5.4 with 3.73ls as of next week it will be on a rcx 6" and either on 35 or 37. I was looking at putting in a 4bt or 6bt but not sure if ill get the power I need. It's my dd but also my mud truck. I'm usually in mud almost covering my 33s. Has anyone done this swap or know anyone who can give good advice. Sorry if this isn't clear
I only know of two attempts to install diesels in our generation of F-150. These were done by members from another forum and in the end it was not successful. What is your ultimate goal by dropping a Cummins in the F-150?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tradesman
I only know of two attempts to install diesels in our generation of F-150. These were done by members from another forum and in the end it was not successful. What is your ultimate goal by dropping a Cummins in the F-150?
I've seen one on YouTube made by farmboy fabrications and it looked like it ran good. I'm really just trying to get hell of a lot of torque and hp. Plus I've always wanted a diesel just never had the money to buy a truck with one and then add the other stuff I want on. I'm going to UTI in September so I don't think I would have a problem making a trans adapter and there would be plent of people willing to help I'd like to think.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM

And as of now on my truck has a 3" lift, 285/17,3.73ls,edge evo,cai,duel straight pipe
Old 05-08-2013, 12:36 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcglynn
I've seen one on YouTube made by farmboy fabrications and it looked like it ran good. I'm really just trying to get hell of a lot of torque and hp. Plus I've always wanted a diesel just never had the money to buy a truck with one and then add the other stuff I want on. I'm going to UTI in September so I don't think I would have a problem making a trans adapter and there would be plent of people willing to help I'd like to think.
If you're able to, I'd say stay away from the newer Cummins 6.7, even though I doubt that would ever fit. The older Cummins motors are better than the new ones, and I know this from other tradespersons hauling with 1-tonne trucks.

I think it would be far better to use a Whipple (twin screw) supercharger to increase your torque. These superchargers are positive displacement and go like a raped ape off idle. But there is no replacement for an oil burning, straight-stacked diesel. I just don't know how you would be able to tune it into your ECM and such. I think fabrication would be far easier than the electronic end of it.

Quick Reply: Diesel Swap F150