Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Dealer quiets tick, but I cant? Phasers? Lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
5.4L Powerstroke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer quiets tick, but I cant? Phasers? Lifters?

I have read a lot of posts about this issue and many variants of this issue. I thought I'd post a link on my findings on this matter and see if anyone wanted to add to it.

Phasers:

I have the same tick that is so common on the 04-05 F150 with the 3V 5.4 motor. I have asked the dealer countless times what they think it is or possible fixes. They have told me phasers a few times, but other times I have been told that it is more likely a lifter because it is less noisy than a phaser. They instructed me to use MC 5w20 and a MC filter. I have done that for many, many months and notice little or absolutely no difference. So, I started trying other various things to fix it. I tried using heavier weight oil (15w40) with WIX filter. Saw no improvement over the life of 4 changes. So moved on to using the recommended oil (MC) and a stabilizer. For the first 3 changes I noticed a very slight decrease in noise, but it was still very noticeable if I was in town or next to a building. I did however notice one thing. I also tried using tranny fluid or seafoam for X many miles prior to the change, this also resulted in no decrease in ticking. I always used a Synthetic Blend oil, as to maintain a constant variable.

However, I took it to the dealer to have a tranny filter replaced and had then change the oil since it was about time anyway. they did and when I picked it up... the truck was ABSOLUTELY silent. No tick, no noise at all. I went back in and asked what they had done, and why the ticking was gone. They said they just put in 5w20 MC and a MC filter and that was all. Well, i beg the question; why when I perform the service using the exact same said oil and filter I get a different result? Being that I still have the noise, even at start up and I used the exact same products? the dealer offered no explanation or any idea as to why it would behave differently after they do it vs. myself.

Has anyone ever experienced this also? Could I be missing something here? I have changed the oil since then and the noise is back, and equally as loud as it ever has been and I'm still using the same oil and filters as they were. I am open to any thoughts.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Maybe it was just it's time to be quiet........... mine ticks from time to time but not all the time so unless mine starts ticking all the time I'm not going to worry about it.
Maybe it's finally broke in, who knows, it just happened!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Check the oil level. The nitwitts down here tend to overfill. Something I've never figured out is why the noise only happens while the engine is hot and why sometimes the noise seems to be louder than others
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same problem and i now use a MC filter and mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30 and lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and it is completely gone until it gets about time to change the oil. the reason its louder when its hot is because the oil thinned out cause its hot
Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Blue Dot Brotha

I've recently noticed this same issue. I just changed my oil using 5w20 with a FRAM filter...I use FRAM religiously. I was wondering if a heavier oil might help. Maybe 10w30 or 10w40?
Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM

i used 10w-30 mobil 1 with Fram filter and the noise started... so I was told to change to 5w-20... so who knows.... sounds like there are a billion theories but none that are proven to work time and time again
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM

the only thing worse than a fram filter is no filter. my buddy has been working at the ford dealership for 5 years and when he has to go through the 3v 5.4 to replace the cam phasers, if the owner has used a fram there is pieces of the filter all inside the motor. My grandpa just had his done and ford dealership should have voided his warranty beacause he was using fram and not motorcraft but they cut him some slack since he has gave them so much business but when he got the truck back they gave him a ziplock bag half filled with pieces of fram oil filter that was in the motor and he changes his oil every 3,000 miles.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by DUredFX476
the only thing worse than a fram filter is no filter. my buddy has been working at the ford dealership for 5 years and when he has to go through the 3v 5.4 to replace the cam phasers, if the owner has used a fram there is pieces of the filter all inside the motor. My grandpa just had his done and ford dealership should have voided his warranty beacause he was using fram and not motorcraft but they cut him some slack since he has gave them so much business but when he got the truck back they gave him a ziplock bag half filled with pieces of fram oil filter that was in the motor and he changes his oil every 3,000 miles.

Im not saying your story is not true... but to say that all Fram filters are crap is a little bias and not factual... with that said... maybe I will try a MC filter on this change.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM
5.4L Powerstroke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried nearly every theory on making them quiet. Heavier oil, additives, other brand names of oil (weight difference), and nothing really changed. I did see an INCREASE in the noise when using a heavier oil though. I know that it's NOT the phasers, it literally sounds like a diesel just not AS loud. I am not frantically searching for a possible solution, but trial and error is just one more step to a solution.

I have tried MC 5w-20 with MC filter per the dealer's instruction, this made absolutely no difference. It sounds identical when using any oil (with or without additives) of any SIMILAR weight. When I used 15w-40 it seemed to be louder, but also seemed to run more smoothly at idle and in traffic.

So in my conclusion, I don't think that it's really a matter of fixing the issue versus patching the issue, more of a quest to save some money and not have to answer the "Is your truck a diesel" in daily situations. So far the best outcome has been a synthetic blend 5w-20 Chevron oil (we buy it by the 55g drum) and a WIX filter (napa gold is the SAME THING, remove the first # in the part number).

Anyone else wishing to chime in with their annoyance while in a drive up window line is welcome.

(NOTE TO ABOVE POST): I would just wad up some paper towels, stuff them in a Folgers coffee can and JB weld it to the oil filter threads if you're going to use fram. Saves time, money, and your going to get more engine life from the paper towels. I've seen this first hand, Fram filters just fall apart and are made of cardboard. Don't believe me? Cut one open.

Last edited by SallyTwoDiqs; 12-28-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by SallyTwoDiqs
I know that it's NOT the phasers, it literally sounds like a diesel just not AS loud.
That is exactly what cam phasers sound like.

Quick Reply: Dealer quiets tick, but I cant? Phasers? Lifters?