Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Cruise control issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control issue

I did a search and didn't find an answer to my question. I have a 2006 King Ranch. The cruise buttons do nothing on the wheel. I figure there is only two other items to look at since all the other items on the same fuse are operating properly. I have a new Motorcraft SW6546 Cruise Control Switch on the way. I am replacing this first because I removed it from the truck, applied a continuity tester to the switch and never got an open of the circuit. It was only $18.00 so it is not a big deal if it turns out not to be the issue. The next thing I was going to tackle is the steering switch clusters. These seem to be unique to the King Ranch since finding them on the web it really difficult. It seems that the harness is the same for the standard clusters and I am guessing they will work. I know I will lose the fan, temp radio up/down feature but I am not to concerned about this. So my question for the forum is this....am I correct that the switch clusters will work and that these truly are the only two items (switch cluster and control switch) that the fault would be? Considering all the other components i.e. the PCM has other functions required form it them and they are working fine.
Attached Thumbnails Cruise control issue-sw-6256.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

You have checked your third brake light operation correct ? Any DTC's ? ABS ?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

As techrep may be leading to, have you checked your brake lights for LED's? If LED bulbs or assemblies were used in the brake light circuits, they can cause the cruise to non function, unless the LED's have a built in load resister. The cruise circuit functions partly from the brake circuit. It detects a current change to operate or de-operate the cruise. The cruise was designed around the filiment type bulbs back in the early F-150's, so if you switch to LED's, a load resistor must be used at each bulb location. Most "better end" LED bulbs have these built in, but there are some cheap LED bulbs being sold as well.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Heres your king ranch switches. Tasca is a great spot for OEM parts.
http://www.tascaparts.com/ford/f-150...=cruise-switch

However I agree with what was said above. Start with the easy checks. Check all your brake light bulbs for correct operation, and to see if any of them are LEDs. Then it might be better to start with the switch on the brake pedal as it is easier and cheaper than the steering wheel control switches.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM

I had read about the high brake light. The high, left and right were checked for LED bulbs. They are working and are incandescent bulbs. I will be receiving the de-activator switch tomorrow so if it does not solve the problem I will have to blame the speed control switches. My question before was if I decided not to use the unique switches the King Ranch came with and decided to use the standard ones would this pose a problem (pictured above)? I assume the PCM knows what is there, switch wise, by the varied resistance inside the switches themselves. Would I be correct with this thinking?

Note: There are no DTC or ABS codes that I am aware of. Is it possible to have issues with out an indicator?

Last edited by KingCrab; 03-21-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:54 PM

No reply from the experts?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Nope... good luck
Old 03-24-2017, 06:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The PCM would only detect simple operation of the switch function itself (I.E. on, off). If the switches are out, you should be able to test their functionality with an ohm meter, to show open or closed, indicating the switch is working or not. As to the resume/coast function, they too are just sending an open/close indication to the cruise box; its up to the cruise box to now check the speed sensor and other areas of the vehicle (brake circuit) to speed up or slow down the cruise setting.

Using the ohm meter on both switch types (the existing King Ranch and new ones you purchased), you can see if each switch functions or operates the same way on the meter. I doubt the King Ranch uses anything different then the non King Ranch models, other than "cosmetic" foo foo stuff.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-24-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 PM

I did a continuity check using a ohmmeter on the deactivation switch and found that it was in a closed circuit position regardless of the plungers position. I have since replaced this switch and have no change. Just pressing the Cruise on/off switch on the steering wheel, does an indicator light on the dash to tell if it is "on" or not? On our Jeep Patriot, when turned on there is an indicator and then a different one for engagement.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

No the light on the dash only comes on once the cruise is set not when it is turned on. Can't help much beyond what you've already tried (lightbulbs, and deactivation switch)